Routing

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Multipoint IPsec and stub areas in hub-and-spokes

Posted 05-29-2014 00:33

Dear friends!

The question is: if I use multipoint ipsec in hub-and-spokes design and want to use stub areas on spokes (only default route to hub is needed) what is better:

1) to make only 1 stub area on hub for all spokes or

2) to avoid multipoint ipsec, make separate tunnels on hub and make stub areas for each spoke?

Yet, don't see any setbacks in the 1st variant. Please, advise me on that.

• 2.  RE: Multipoint IPsec and stub areas in hub-and-spokes
    Best Answer

Posted 06-05-2014 06:33

In the 1st variant, are you suggesting configuring the hub of the multipoint VPN as part of a stub area?  If so I would steer well away from this option as you would want the hub to be the backbone.

There is no issue with using hub and spoke VPN for your design if you consider the following...

- If you have a large network and want to make the most of stub areas, I wouldn't see an issue in configuring non-backbone interfaces on your spoke devices as stub areas

- Unless your network is handling a vast amount of prefixes, I would just configure all spoke interfaces as part of area 0 for ease of configuration

Hope this helps

• 3.  RE: Multipoint IPsec and stub areas in hub-and-spokes

Posted 08-28-2014 04:15

Thank you, Mr_P!

Finally I opted for the last option with only area 0 with all spoke ifaces...