Routing

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  PFE Debugging on the MX5

Posted 02-12-2015 04:35

Hi All,

I have a simple question regarding PFE shell commands (I know they are not supported which is why I am asking on here and not through Case Manager).

I'm looking to clarify what the debug behaviour is when performed on a PFE.

To expand on this, I'm looking at obtaining some further information on exception traffic hitting some of our devices (MX480s/240s) and have enabled a pfe debug on a particular fpc for exception traffic with a debug level of 2.

Essentially I wish to know to whether the debug 'stays on', or whether it is disabled when exiting the shell?

If it is not disabled with the session exit, do I need to alter the debug level to 0 to disable it?

For instance:

To enable and log to buffer discard exception traffic:

device(MX5 vty)# debug jnh exceptions 2 discard
    device(MX5 vty)# debug jnh exceptions-trace

To disable debugging:

device(MX5 vty)# debug jnh exceptions 0 discard

I do understand the consequences of running these commands and would be very grateful for any help.

• 2.  RE: PFE Debugging on the MX5
    Best Answer

Posted 02-15-2015 17:19

Hi Charlie,

As you already have discovered, running these commands could cause serious impact to the router.

This should be executed in consulation with JTAC.

However just to answer to your query, the debug HAS to be disabled using "undebug jnh exceptions...." (I am providing this because it may help in case you have already enabled the debug). Again I would recommend not to use debug command.

Regards

Surya

• 3.  RE: PFE Debugging on the MX5

Posted 02-18-2015 01:37

Hi Surya,

Perfect, that's exactly what I needed.