Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Ping from VRF

Posted 03-31-2012 23:15

HI experts

what is the default source interface when we originate ping inside the VRF if there is multiple interfaces inside the VRF which one will be choose ?

• 2.  RE: Ping from VRF

Posted 04-01-2012 02:14
    The one "clostests" to the destination; the interface to the next hop for the destination so to say.

• 3.  RE: Ping from VRF

Posted 04-01-2012 02:55

HI Screenie thanks for your reply  

I am talking to ping the remote CE from the local PE  I think it should ping with source IP address of the local PE-to-CE interface members of that vrf but incase if there is many interface member of that VRF which one it will take by default

• 4.  RE: Ping from VRF

Posted 04-01-2012 12:43

Hey Rashed,

One note, though, if you have system/default-address-selection configured:

1. If you have no lo0.x interface inside the vrf, Screenie's response is valid.

2. If you have a lo0.x interface inside the vrf, its address is going to be used as the source and the ping will fail if the remote end does not have a valid route to lo0.x's address.

Cheers,

• 5.  RE: Ping from VRF

Posted 04-01-2012 12:56

Hi Erdems 

so if there is no lo0.x inside the vrf it will source the ping from the interface between the PE and the P ,  if this is the case we will never be able to ping the remote CE from the PE since this interface can't be in the VRF table (  unless we specify the source interface that member of the VRF )  I am right ?

• 6.  RE: Ping from VRF

Posted 04-02-2012 01:41

Hi,

What I get is you trying to ping from the PE to remote branch and this PE has more than one interface under the VRF. you are asking about which interface will the router will use as source interface on ping

From my experience it is using the lowest numerical value if you have 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x & 10.10.x.x it will use 10.10.x.x as a source address. you could check by your self by simulating this on small LAB and configure reverse route on the remote PE one by one and see the result.

Regards,

Mohamed Elhariry

JNCIE-M/T # 1059, CCNP & CCIP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".Kudos are always appreciated!

• 7.  RE: Ping from VRF

Posted 04-02-2012 05:38

Hi Rashed,

Not exactly, there is always a way 🙂

I now suspect that I might have not fully understand your initial question. What exactly are you trying to achieve and having issues?

Cheers,