Routing
Highlighted
Routing

QFX5100 VC - PIM static RP support

‎06-26-2019 04:44 AM

Dear all.

The feature explorer show that QFX5100 doesn't support "static rendezvous point (RP)" for PIM (Protocol Independent Multicast).

I tried to enter static RP configuration bit on our lab QFX5100 Virtual chassis (Junos 14.1X53-D47) and configuration was commited without error. However I don't have needed devices to create/test whole multicast scenario and validate the multicast streaming indeed works.

Does somebody have practical experience with static RP for PIM configuration on QFX5100 virtual chassis or standalone QFX5100 please? I find it bit odd that this feature is not supported on this platform.

Thank you.

Regards
Luděk Matoušek
JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP, JNCIP-SEC, JNCIA-DevOps
2 REPLIES 2
Routing

Re: QFX5100 VC - PIM static RP support

‎06-26-2019 06:40 AM

Something to help you verify your multicast stream.

On sender side, simulate multicast traffic:

ping <multicast group> bypass-routing interface <downstream interface> ttl 10 count 1000000000

On receiver side:

1. Configure static IGMP group to simulate PIM join 

#set protocols igmp interface <downstrean interface> static group <multicast group>

2. Configure SAP to listen/respond to multicast streams 

#set protcols sap listen <multicast group>

Mengzhe Hu
JNCIE x 3 (SP DC ENT)
Routing

Re: QFX5100 VC - PIM static RP support

‎06-26-2019 08:50 AM

Hi,

One of the requirement for an PIM RP is to decapsulate an PIM-Register packet which a first-hop router sends to the RP during initial start of multicast traffic. I haven't tested QFX5100, but my guess it the hardware doesn't support the tunneling interfaces like pd- which are needed for decapsulating the register message.

regards

Nischal