Routing
Highlighted
Routing

RIB groups intro

‎07-03-2013 06:17 PM

Hi,

In trying to find a solution to a routing issue I began dabbling in the mysterious world of RIB groups. Mysterious for me, anyway. The issue was solved using another method but I still was hoping to understand the RIB groups a little better. The thing that was tripping me up was the next hop address not being changed. 

For example if I have two routing instances (VR1, VR2) each with an interface (ge-0/0/1, ge-0/0/2) and a route is passed from VR1 to VR2. This route has a next-hop via ge-0/0/1, which VR2 has no knowledge of. How does routing occur?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Routing

Re: RIB groups intro

‎07-03-2013 10:23 PM

Hi

You need to import the interface routes into both routing instances .

routing-options {
        interface-routes {
            rib-group inet RIBGROUP;
        } 

RIBGROUP will have the VR1.inet.0 and VR2.inet.0

Regards,

Moses N

Highlighted
Routing

‎07-03-2013 10:46 PM

Hi Moses,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm still not sure how that works. It's the last sentence in my original post that is most relevent. When VR2 has received the route it still has a next-hop of ge-0/0/1, of which it has no knowledge. How can it forward traffic?

Highlighted
Routing

[ Edited ]
‎07-03-2013 11:43 PM

Hi

When you configure something like below, all static routes in VR1 instance will be installed in both VR1 and VR2.

Also, all the directly connected interface routes of VR1 will be installed in the same way.

So, VR2 will know the next-hop of the routes.

[edit routing-options]
+  rib-groups {
+      RIBGROUP {
+          import-rib [ VR1.inet.0 VR2.inet.0 ];
+      }
+  }
[edit routing-instances]
+   VR1 {
+       routing-options {
+           interface-routes {
+               rib-group inet RIBGROUP;
+           }