Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Really old M7i version

Posted 10-10-2018 00:14

Hi everyone,

I've got 3 units of M7i routers @ my lab which i need to upgrade to the most recent version.

1 is running version 7.3R2.9 and the other 2 running 8.5.

looking around the forums and google i couldn't find any specifics on how to upgrade from such old version to the most recent 15.x version.

I've got RE 5.0 model on all of them, i was wodering if it even possible to upgrade on my situation ?

In addition, in order to enable jflow on those routers do i need license or newer software version / dedicated hardware ?

#routing
    #mseries
    #JUNOS

• 2.  RE: Really old M7i version

Posted 10-10-2018 01:05

Hello,

@ChenA wrote:

Hi everyone,

@I've got 3 units of M7i routers @ my lab which i need to upgrade to the most recent version.

1 is running version 7.3R2.9 and the other 2 running 8.5.

What is the Compact Flash (CF) size on those boxes, or do they have CF at all?

If they have CF,  You may be better off just removing CF  - because the original CF is small+EOL and Juniper replacements  are EOL as well - and letting those boxes to run upgraded JUNOS off the HDD.

@ChenA wrote:

I've got RE 5.0 model on all of them, i was wodering if it even possible to upgrade on my situation ?

RE 5.0 was declared EOL back in 2012, so no support for upgrade to 15.1.

@ChenA wrote:

In addition, in order to enable jflow on those routers do i need license or newer software version / dedicated hardware ?

You can certainly run RE-based jflow v5 or v8 (but not both simultaneously). No license is required.

If You have ASM in these boxes then You can run HW-assisted jflow v5 or v8, or RE-based jflow v8 and ASM-based Jflow v5 at the same time. ASM-based Jflow requires a honor-based license.

What You cannot do is to run IPFIX since it is supported only on Trio linecards and M7i supports either ABC or ICHIP FEB.

Given all of the above, if I were You, I'd look at virtualized Juniper remote labs instead

https://jlabs.juniper.net/vlabs/

HTH

Thx
    Alex

• 3.  RE: Really old M7i version

Posted 10-10-2018 01:16

@aarseniev wrote:

RE 5.0 was declared EOL back in 2012, so no support for upgrade to 15.1.

@ChenA wrote:

You can certainly run RE-based jflow v5 or v8 (but not both simultaneously). No license is required.

If You have ASM in these boxes then You can run HW-assisted jflow v5 or v8, or RE-based jflow v8 and ASM-based Jflow v5 at the same time. ASM-based Jflow requires a honor-based license.

What You cannot do is to run IPFIX since it is supported only on Trio linecards and M7i supports either ABC or ICHIP FEB.

Given all of the above, if I were You, I'd look at virtualized Juniper remote labs instead

https://jlabs.juniper.net/vlabs/

HTH

Thx
    Alex

Hi Alex, thanks for your reply :).

So as far as RE5.0 declared EOL in 2012, do you know which version is the lastest i can install there or where can i see which versions is supported in general in RE5.0 ?

As well regarding Jflow i was trying to configure it under the protocols and couldn't find any option to do so.

• 4.  RE: Really old M7i version

Posted 10-10-2018 01:47

Hello,

@ChenA wrote:

@aarseniev

So as far as RE5.0 declared EOL in 2012, do you know which version is the lastest i can install there or where can i see which versions is supported in general in RE5.0 ?

Sorry, 2012 is my typo, should read 2014.

The first supported JUNOS version for RE-5.0 (JUNOS 9.0) can be found on this page

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/general/routing-engine-m-mx-t-series-support-by-chassis.html

And if You then click on "TSB16445", it opens a JTAC Tech Bulletin (PDF) where one can find the last version - JUNOS 13.3

The last software version that will be supported on these routing engines is Junos 13.3. 

@ChenA wrote:

@aarseniev

As well regarding Jflow i was trying to configure it under the protocols and couldn't find any option to do so.

Jflow is configured under [edit forwarding-options sampling] and then under each logical interface family, or in the forwarding table filter with "then  sample" action

Below link shows example Jflow v5 config (it says for SRX but equally applicable to M7i Jflow v5)

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21023

HTH

Thx

Alex

• 5.  RE: Really old M7i version

Posted 10-10-2018 04:04

Thanks for the info 🙂 !

Do you know where i might find download for 13.3, couldn't see it on the download section for m7i ? (starting from 14.1).

• 6.  RE: Really old M7i version
    Best Answer

Posted 10-10-2018 04:27

Hello,

If You have a support contract, then JTAC can provide You JUNOS 13.3 image for download.

HTH

Thx

Alex