Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Routing Engine Redundancy

Posted 10-01-2013 01:41
    Hi experts , I have got few questions regarding Routing engine on Juniper? Below depicted configuration is my reference. groups { re0 { system { host-name GOODLONDONA; backup-router 97.240.16.1; } interfaces { fxp0 { unit 0 { family inet { address 97.240.16.36/26; } } } } } re1 { system { host-name GOODLONDONB; backup-router 97.240.32.65; } interfaces { fxp0 { unit 0 { family inet { address 97.240.28.115/26; } } 1) What is backup router? Is this backup router a separate external physical Juniper router ? 2) Do routing engines share the management interface fxp0 , each having separate management IP address ? 3) If the management IP address changes when there is switching change in routing engine i.e. RE1 takes over RE0 takeover , how will communication happen with Network Management system since management IP address changes? 4) Do both the routing engine runs on common hardware in a single router or Single router has got 2 hardware to run 2 routing engines? 5) How primary and secondary routing engine does communicate? Which entity in Juniper router senses failure and activates secondary ?

• 2.  RE: Routing Engine Redundancy

Posted 10-01-2013 01:43
      |   view attached

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Routing Engine Redundancy

Posted 10-01-2013 05:36

Hi,

where are you logged in?it shows there wether you are in Master/backup.

By default, RE0 is the master routing engine while RE1 is the backup Routing Engine.

You can manually change that using request chassis routing-engine master switch command.

You may also check this for basic idea with Routing Engine:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1/topics/concept/routing-engine-redundacny-overview.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/routing-engine-redundancy-configuring.html

• 4.  RE: Routing Engine Redundancy

Posted 10-05-2013 20:36

Hi,

Thanks for providing the links. I have had already read it. I am looking for the answer for the questions mentioned below. Unfortunately the Juniper's quality of explanation is not lucid and simple.

1) Statement "Redundant Routing Engines are two Routing Engines that are installed in the same routing platform". Does it mean that the    Redundant Routing Engines are hardware specific. Only specific hardware supports the Redundant Routing Engines? Also does every Junos version supports Redundant Routing Engines?

2) What does the command "backup-router 97.240.16.1" accomplishes? Is the backup router a external physical router?

I am yet to get clear answers from your URL for the below mentioned questions? The URL

1)      What is backup router? Is this backup router a separate external  physical Juniper router ?

2)      Do routing engines share the management interface FSP , each having separate management IP address ?

3)      If the management IP address changes when there is switching change in routing engine i.e.. RE1 takes over RE0 takeover , how will communication happen with Network Management system since management IP  address changes?

4)      Do both the routing engine runs on common hardware in single router or Single router has got 2 hardware to run 2 routing engines?

5)      How primary and secondary routing engine does communicate?  Which entity in Juniper router senses failure and activates secondary ?

The configuration excerpt is typical Tier-1 service provider Aggregation taken out from M40 series router.

• 5.  RE: Routing Engine Redundancy
    Best Answer

Posted 10-05-2013 21:40

You do have your questions nicely laid. Oh, you would also want to tell which Series devices you are configuring and the code version of Junos OS. SO I decided to do a little experiment and fired up google! And the results were astounding; sometimes Juniper does have some things that are outdated and needs correction, but here goes what I searched for and how long it took.
    1) What is backup router? Is this backup router a separate external physical Juniper router ?
    http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/backup-router-configuring.html
    The backup router statement, the secondary node can be accessed from an external subnet for management purposes.
    http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB17161&smlogin=true

2) Do routing engines share the management interface fxp0, each having separate management IP address ?
    http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/concept/interfaces-understanding-management-ethernet-interfaces.html

If the management IP address changes when there is switching change in routing engine i.e. RE1 takes over RE0 takeover , how will communication happen with Network Management system since management IP address changes?
    Proper configuration as outlined and explained in the pdf. I learned something new form this pdf also. The age old question about why the management interface cannot is not placed in a virtual routing instance. Pretty awesome stuff.
    http://kb.juniper.net/library/CUSTOMERSERVICE/GLOBAL_JTAC/SRX-cluster-monitoring-best-practices.pdf
    3) Do both the routing engine runs on common hardware in single router or Single router has got 2 hardware to run 2 routing engines?
    Each router has a single routing engine…well it depends on the specific series you are dealing with. The 5800 can accommodate a second RE. Only one routing engine can be active in a cluster.
    4) How primary and secondary routing engine does communicate? Which entity in Juniper router senses failure and activates secondary ?
    That depends on whether it is a RE or Data plane failover. Leave messages sent when one node is rebooted, heartbeats that are broadcast between the nodes, configured via redundancy groups with a priority value, interface-weight.
    The show chassis cluster control-plane statistics command shows the communication between the two nodes for control plane and data plane stats.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.2/topics/task/operational/chassis-cluster-deployment-scenario.html

• 6.  RE: Routing Engine Redundancy

Posted 10-14-2013 19:42

Let me see if I can clarify.

Redundant routing engines

Redundant REs are hardware-specific.  Typically, this referrs to chassis platforms that have a routing engine (supervisor in Cisco world) that is independent of the line cards with the actual ports on it.  This would be something like the MX240/480/960, EX8200/9200, M10i/40/120/320, and some others.  The chassis has slots for two physical routing engines (the brains) independent of the slots for normal interfaces.

Platforms that support virtual chassis (stacks in Cisco world), like the EX4200, muddy things a little bit.  These platforms are self-contained:  the brains and the forwarding ports are all combined into one unit.  When multiple of these physical units are linked together to be managed as a single logical unit, 1-2 of the physical units behave as routing engines.  Just like chassis platforms, one is master, the other is backup, and the assorted protocols and management stuff runs on them.  The physical units that are not acting like routing engines are designated "line cards".  They run a small subset of processes in order to communicate with the "routing engine".  

backup-router

This one has nothing to do with normal traffic flow or normal routing.  It is not required in the configuration.  It is for out-of-band management and works with physical management port on the routing engine.  That is fxp0 (M/MX/T) or me0 (EX) or vme (EX virtual chassis).  Think of it as a default route for the system to use while it is coming online.

Network management with dual REs

The easiest is to do in-band management.  The IP address is assigned to the chassis itself, not to a routing engines (components) within the chassis.  Using in-band management, you are connecting to the chassis using normal interfaces and normal routing table. 

Doing out-of-band management can be tricky.  I'm not going to attempt to explain it since it varies depending on the environment.

Redundant RE communication

For the most part, you never need to worry about this.  There is nothing you need, or can, configure.  This is the exact same mechanism used for communication between the routing engine and the line cards.  I will say that for normal chassis hardware, all communication is contained within the chassis itself and it is all handled outside of the normal network traffic.

On a virtual chassis, there are "virtual chassis ports" (VCPs) that are used to connect the physical units together. Communication between the units, as well as normal traffic going from one unit to another, will use the virtual chassis ports.  There are two physical VCPs on each physical switch.  If you have units that are farther apart that the longest virtual chassis cable supports (~20m I think?) you can specify that that tone or wo normal physical ports will be used as VCPs instead.  Note that this dedicates the port(s) to virtual chassis usage, no other configuration will be allowed on them.  Again, nothing you can configure here.  

The communication itself is internal to the chassis.  If it is a virtual chassis, then the communication is across the virtual chassis uplink ports.

Detecting failures

This is one of the things the RE communication handles automatically.  Each one is aware of the other using something akin to heartbeats.  If the backup stops hearing heartbeats from the master for a certain amount of time it will decide that the old master is dead and will take over as the new master.  If the formerly dead routing engine comes back online, it will check to see if there is already a master.  If there is a master then it will go into backup mode.  If there isn't it will go into master mode.

You can also manually toggle mastership between the two routing engines.  This is useful when doing code upgrades or wanting to test failover scenarios.  "request chassis routing-engine master switch" is the command.

graceful route-engine switchover (GRES)

This is the biggest reason for having redundant REs and is primarily intended to minimize disruption to the network in the event of a route-engine failure.  With GRES enabled, some information is synced from the master RE to the backup RE.  This allows the backup RE to take over without having to do things like reset the line cards.  There are some things that may still need to be started from scratch though.

GRES sets the foundation for non-stop functionality.  Non-stop is when mastership can switch from one RE to the other and there is no disruption to the network.  There is non-stop routing (NSR) and non-stop bridging (NSB); NSB may also be referred to as non-stop switching.  With NSR enabled, not only are some system-level things kept in sync between the REs, but routing protocols are synced as well.   When an update occurs on the master, the backup is also notified.  That means the backup RE will effectively have a mirror of the master RE's route table ready to go. 

NSB is the same as NSR but covers layer-2 functions.  That means things like spanning-tree and the switching table are mirrored between the REs.

Note that clusters are different that redundant REs.  Clusters are primarily for the security side and are for 2+ physical devices.  A cluster member may or may not have redundant REs, it depends on the hardware.  The closest analogy to a cluster in the routing/switching side would be a virtual-chassis but they are definitely not the same thing.  No such concepts like clusters or redundancy groups.  

Does that help explain it?

-Chad