Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  SNMP restriction for Logical System?

Posted 02-10-2015 18:56

Hi All,

I'm try to configure the SNMP for just logical system only. I refer to this URL  below. But i'm still dont understand why we still need put routing-instances? Appreciate some one feedback or sample config example.

Thanks

http://www.endthestatusquo.net/techpubs/en_US/junos13.2/topics/reference/configuration-statement/logical-system-edit-snmp.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.3/information-products/pathway-pages/network-management/network-management.pdf

community R1-Sun {
        routing-instance SNMP-ONLY;
        ##
        ## Warning: [routing-instance] must be configured for this logical-system
        ##
        logical-system R1-Sun;

• 2.  RE: SNMP restriction for Logical System?

Posted 02-16-2015 09:49

Hi ,

The "routing-instance" knob will provide the user with flexibility of SNMP client access to whole logical-system or paritial restricted acess only to a particular routing-instance.

In case, you would like to provide access to whole logical-system, the routing-instance has to be set to "default"

show snmp community surya
    logical-system LR1 {
        routing-instance default;
    }

And if you want to restrict to particular a routing-instance within logical-system, then it would be just that routing-instance name.

show snmp community surya
    logical-system LR2 {
        routing-instance FED;
    }

Of course you should have trhe corresponding routing-instance configured under the logical-system, else the commit would fail like below:

{master}[edit]
    suryak@MX960# commit
    re0:
    error: The routing instance(LR1/FED) is not configured
    error: configuration check-out failed

Regards

Surya

• 3.  RE: SNMP restriction for Logical System?

Posted 02-16-2015 23:01

Hi Surya,

Thanks for your feedback. Another question related to SNMP for logical system.

If i just put OID as per below config on the router is it by default will exclude other OID. What i mean is it behaviour like policy statement will reject by default.

Thanks and appreciate your feedback.

user@host# show snmp
    view system-exclude {oid .1.3.6.1.2.1.1 include;}community test {view system-exclude;authorization read-write;}

• 4.  RE: SNMP restriction for Logical System?

Posted 02-16-2015 23:02

• 5.  RE: SNMP restriction for Logical System?
    Best Answer

Posted 02-17-2015 07:19

Hi

@kronicklez wrote:

Hi Surya,

user@host# show snmp
    view system-exclude {oid .1.3.6.1.2.1.1 include;}community test {view system-exclude;authorization read-write;}

With above config, you will be able to poll only the OID under "System" hierarchy. All other OIDs out of this range will be returned with empty value.

If I have answered your query, please accept this as "Solution". Kudos are also welcomed Smiley Happy

Regards

Surya

• 6.  RE: SNMP restriction for Logical System?

Posted 02-17-2015 17:56

Hi Surya,

Thanks again for your feedback and clarification.