Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  What is the least intrusive method to manually flip VRRP mastership

Posted 08-30-2019 02:38

Hi all,

With a redundant MX480 setup, can I ask the simplist way to transfer vrrp 'master' for fifty L3 interfaces, other than reboot or switching redundant RE roles?.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: What is the least intrusive method to manually flip VRRP mastership
    Best Answer

Posted 08-30-2019 06:12

Hi,

You can change the priority on back-up to higher. By default, a higher-priority backup router preempts a lower-priority master router and mastership will switch.

Mayank Shah

**Please accept as answer if this solves your problem so others can benefit from the post.

• 3.  RE: What is the least intrusive method to manually flip VRRP mastership

Posted 08-30-2019 15:39

Agreed with this solution and to make things simple i'd opt to replace pattern given the number of interfaces.

thank you!

• 4.  RE: What is the least intrusive method to manually flip VRRP mastership

Posted 08-30-2019 08:02

Hi Anawaz,

I hope you are aware of VRRP priority and preemption concept.  Please review following document:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/vrrp-preemption-configuring-qfx-series.html

If you can share your current configuration that will help to answer more precisely.

However, if you want to just manually flip the mastership without causing a major impact and configuration change. You can shut down the ethernet interface on VRRP master.

Please mark my response as solution if it asnwers your query, kudos are appreciated too!

Thanks
    Vishal

• 5.  RE: What is the least intrusive method to manually flip VRRP mastership

Posted 09-01-2019 19:06

You can change the VRRP priority of the set of interfaces using groups and apply the group to the interface hierarchial knob.