Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  can i map 7 channelized stm1s to STM16 port on MX960?

Posted 09-19-2017 07:19
      |   view attached

Hi All,

I have a requirement of terminating 7 STM1s on STM16 port of  MIC-3D-8OC3OC12-4OC48 MIC. the STM1s are channelised. The 7 STM1s are to be bundled to make up 1 gig internet upstream capacity  we buying from our provider.

am not sure if i can just map the 7 STM1s to the STM16 port without ending up with SDH errors like Loss of pointer or Loss of frame alignment. how can i achieve this if at all its possible ?

attached is network diagram.

Lish.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    SDH diagram.pdf   120 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: can i map 7 channelized stm1s to STM16 port on MX960?

Posted 09-25-2017 02:52

I have only ever bundled two but according to the documentation Junos can bundle up to 64 with 13.3 or later.  Naturally you need to have the same bundling setup on the service provider side so you will need to confirm with them how many you are able to aggregate.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/sonet-aggregated-interfaces-understanding.html

• 3.  RE: can i map 7 channelized stm1s to STM16 port on MX960?

Posted 09-25-2017 06:49
      |   view attached

Hi Steve,

I might have phrased the question wrongly. what am looking for is not bundling 7 seperate STM1s on different ports but crossconnecting 7 STM1s on STM16 port. my router has STM16 port and this port is conected to ADM box on STM16 port too.

i have attached network diagram to clarify.

now i have purchased 7 STM1s and am required to terminate those 7 STM1s on the STM16 port (am not sure if this even possible). personaly i was thinking, the stm16 port expects the whole STM16 frame/payload to be complete, meaning it can accept 16 X STM1s and not anything less or more. is this the case?  the 7 STM1s are are delivered/crossconnected on the same STM16 pipe from end to end via the SDH boxes but the challenge now is how to terminate those 7 STM1s on STM16 port on the MX. is there a way to tell the router how many STM1s it should expect or its by deafault full port capacity? like STM16 port expects 16 STM1s and STM4 port expects 4 STM1s ..

Regards,

Lish.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    SDH diagram.pdf   120 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: can i map 7 channelized stm1s to STM16 port on MX960?

Posted 09-27-2017 03:01

Sorry, I've never used multiplexing like that before.  But from the MX side if the ADM is working correctly we should see a single STM16 port configuration.  The question is really to the ADM vendor on their ability do multiplex the STM1 multiple ports over to STM16 per the standard for your device.

• 5.  RE: can i map 7 channelized stm1s to STM16 port on MX960?
    Best Answer

Posted 05-20-2018 22:24

Thanks Steve for your effort. i figured out that it is not possible to terminate the 7STM1s on the MX POS STM16 port. the POS port expects full rate SDH payload and nothing less. i had to convert the capacity to ethernet at the ADM level (EoSDH) and feed to the MX on gig-E port. 

• 6.  RE: can i map 7 channelized stm1s to STM16 port on MX960?

Posted 05-21-2018 02:55

Thanks for the update on these limitations.