Routing
Routing

iBGP between VRF from different routers.

‎08-12-2019 02:54 AM

Hi there

I have two routers runing one VRF with the same RD/RT. Now I wish these two VRF could build iBGP session and exchange routes what we don't want to leak into default table.

Is it possbile to reach ? 

Best regards,

Cloud

5 REPLIES 5
Routing

Re: iBGP between VRF from different routers.

[ Edited ]
‎08-12-2019 04:09 AM

Hello,

MPLS L3VPN PE-CE iBGP is supported

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/l3-vpns-as-configuration.html#id-...

This functionality is described in the Internet draft draft-marques-ppvpn-ibgp-version.txt, RFC 2547bis Networks Using Internal BGP as PE-CE Protocol.

To allow a Layer 3 VPN to transport IBGP traffic...

And from experience, PE-CE iBGP works even without "independent-domain" knob

Whether You actually want to use iBGP for back-to-back VRF is debatable since, for starters, RT communities are not stripped by default in PE->CE direction so You have to take care of such stripping manually (if You want/need to, of course). 

All-in-all, it's advisable/better to test everything in the lab, of course.

HTH

Thx

Alex

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
Routing

‎08-12-2019 04:20 AM

yes, It is possible to configure a normal iBGP session (inet unicast) and exchange routes.

Thanks,
Nellikka
JNCIE x3 (SEC #321; SP #2839; ENT #790)
Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!
Routing

‎08-12-2019 11:34 AM

Hello Cloud,

Its possible, but not popular. If you don't have public AS you can esily use eBGP with private ASN between PE--CE which is widely used.

Why do you want to use iBGP for PE--CE?

Thanks
Vishal

Routing

‎08-12-2019 07:30 PM

Hi there 

It's PE to PE

I have public ASN. And I would like to build a iBGP session to exchange some specific routes.

then announces these prefixes to upstream provider.

But as I tested, the BGP session is still stuck on the status of connect.

So, I need to make sure that the iBGP between two VRF in two routers is working.

Best regards,

Cloud

Routing

‎08-12-2019 08:00 PM
Please check if you have route for the iBGP neighbor on each PE.

If you have route on both PE for their iBGP neighbor please check if you can ping the iBGP neighbor sourcing from the local-address that you are using in the iBGP configuration

If the ping is failing use the traceroute function to see where the packets are getting dropped

Another thing you can check, if there is any firewall filter on the core facing interface or loopback which is blocking tcp port 179 for the BGP.

Thanks
Vishal