Routing

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  ipv6 over ipv4 tunnels

Posted 11-18-2008 04:04

Hi All,

Just a quick question.  is there a way to create an ipv6 over ipv4 tunnel without the use of an AS/tunnel service PIC?

• 2.  RE: ipv6 over ipv4 tunnels
    Best Answer

Posted 11-18-2008 04:23

Hi Cyke,

Not that I'm aware of.  All tunneling in JUNOS requires a Tunnel/AS PIC or AS Module in the M7i.  The one exception is the J series, which is able to do tunneling without any extra hardware, although not at anything like the scale of the M series and T series.

Rgds,

Guy 

• 3.  RE: ipv6 over ipv4 tunnels

Posted 11-18-2008 04:33
    Thank you very much for the confirmation.

• 4.  RE: ipv6 over ipv4 tunnels

Posted 11-23-2010 13:39

I'm a little confused as to how this works on the MX series.  The way I understand it, you can allocate one of the forwarding engines on a DPC card for tunneling services.  In my case I have an ipip tunnel built to Hurricane Electric in order to play with ipv6.  We can successfully advertise our v6 subnets over this link and I can reach any of the ipv6 interfaces from outside as long as those interfaces physically exist on the MX with the tunnel.  However, I cannot route traffic from another MX outside even though all of the internal v6 routing seems to be fine.  I guess my questions are:

1. It looks like this is the way to creat a tunnel interface:

[edit chassis]

fpc 4{

pic 3 {

tunnel-services {

bandwidth  10g

So, on my MX480 I have a 4 port 10G blade in slot 4 and I have a vacant interface to use (3).  Can I still use the other 3 10G interfaces for ethernet transport?  That's not entirely clear to me.

2.How is the newly created tunnel interface designated?