Routing

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  "set policy-options policy-statement IN_M term 40 from route-filter" in MX960

Posted 05-02-2017 09:36

Hi do you think below three group commands have exact same effects? thank you

Frist

set policy-options policy-statement IN_M term 40 from route-filter 22.15.248.0/25 upto /29 accept

Second

set policy-options policy-statement IN_M term 40 from route-filter 22.15.248.0/25 upto /29

set policy-options policy-statement IN_M term 40 then accept

Third

set policy-options policy-statement IN_M term 40 from route-filter 22.15.248.0/25 upto /29 accept

set policy-options policy-statement IN_M term 40 then accept

• 2.  RE: "set policy-options policy-statement IN_M term 40 from route-filter" in MX960
    Best Answer

Posted 05-02-2017 14:09

1 and 2 are equivalent: only the specified route(s) are accepted.  I try to stick with the 2nd method except for the handful of times I need to do something specific using the 3rd method (see last paragraph).

The third one is a little odd.  The "accept" on the route-filter occurs first.  What I'm trying to recall is what the fall-through behavior is for a route that doesn't match the route-filter.  I only mix route-filter actions and term actions when one is set to reject and the other to accept.  Since there is already an action applied to the router-filter I think the term's then action would apply to all other routes, which would result in all routes being accepted.  Not 100% positive without setting it up, but about 90% sure that would be the behavior.

Basically, avoid the third method where you are mixing route-filter actions and term actions unless you are absolutely certain of what you are doing.  I only do both if I need to pre-filter with the route-filter action and then have the term's action to do something else for all other routes.

• 3.  RE: "set policy-options policy-statement IN_M term 40 from route-filter" in MX960

Posted 05-02-2017 19:41

Thank you so much. I think you are right.