Routing
Routing

router protection scheme and protocol

[ Edited ]
‎04-14-2013 03:12 AM

Hi, need some advise here.

My single router have 2 ge interface and each interface is connected to layer2 metro-e transport provider via 2 different path and both port at metro-e provider is individually active and operation, no layer2 protectn. 

On my router What is the best protectn mechanism that i can apply to protect my router traffic incase any of the 2 link got problem and to ensure my traffic still go through.

Thank you.

Attachments

6 REPLIES 6
Routing

Re: router protection scheme and protocol

‎04-16-2013 04:34 AM

Just to add info, my router is connected to 2 different path/link and to 2 differnt location of the metro-e node.

I hope somebody could assist me further. Thank you.

Routing

‎04-18-2013 04:33 AM

Much appreciate if somebody could help me on this matter.

Thanks

Routing

‎04-19-2013 12:49 AM

Kind of difficult to help without knowing how they are connected, ie the protocol. Are you running BGP on both links? Do you have static routes? Can you show us your configuration minus your internal addresses etc? 

[KUDOS PLEASE! If you think I earned it!
If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]
Routing

[ Edited ]
‎04-19-2013 01:36 AM

Hi sir,

Thank you

This is new implementation and still in discussion stage. 

single router with two interface connected to 2 different metro-e poi and connected back to another router with one interface.

currently its only have single link to metro-e provider and via static route. If this link fail then no backup at all.

for new implementation we required second link, different path, different poi at metro-e provider.

in term of routing protocol, I'm thinking of using BGP on both link. But not really sure on the protection mechanisim.

Still open for discussion and new idea.

Thanks

Routing

‎04-22-2013 03:03 AM

If you have two links then yes you can use BGP on both links. BGP offers mulitple ways to control traffic and with its many attributes and routing pollices, you just have say exactly what and how you want to manage traffic. You cna use different deployment methods. you can load balance with redundancy, I cannot even begin to tell you how advanced and possibly complicated BGP can get. You can do pretty much anything you want to with routing polices. Lots of protection available.

[KUDOS PLEASE! If you think I earned it!
If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]
Routing

‎04-23-2013 01:11 AM

Hi sir,

Noted and thank you. I think I've got idea. Smiley Happy

Thanks.