SDN and NFV Era
SDN and NFV Era
MPLS + SDN + NFV World - Paris 2016

In the past twelve months we’ve seen significant changes in attitude towards NFV and automation. For instance, can you recall the last time you heard it was all “vendor hype?” There are already some great examples of operators deploying virtual services to live customers. And, from a vendor and partner perspective, we see more sophisticated ecosystems developing as the full extent of cloud economics is better understood.

The early pathfinders are, however, in the minority. For most it’s still about the “show me” phase. That’s to say, show me how I can deploy platforms to support virtual services; show me how they integrate with my existing network; show me how they behave as network conditions change – and the list goes on. Taken literally, “show me” usually requires a lot of effort; a visit to a lab or something like a proof of concept trial. And even then, we don’t all get to be a part of the experience as many of us are committed to keeping today’s network up and running rather than developing what we will deploy tomorrow.   And that’s where events like MPLS+SDN+NFV World and sponsors like Juniper Networks play their part.

Juniper Networks: Diamond SponsorJuniper Networks: Diamond Sponsor

If you’re planning to attend MPLS+SDN+NFV World in Paris then Juniper Networks will give you the chance to explore, experience and elaborate on all things virtual and automated. Be a part of our live demonstrations, question our experts at whatever level of you want and turn virtual theory into virtual reality.

We’ll have live demonstrations of Northstar Controller, Contrail, Cloud CPE and OpenConfig as well as a deep dive into EVPN. There’s some more information below and if you want to reserve a time for a demo then just email me at npound@juniper.net and we’ll work something out. Alternatively just rock along to the Juniper booth and we promise to take good care of you. Who knows, you could even pick up a shirt or win a signed copy of MPLS in the SDN Era – I almost forgot to mention that we have the authors along for the ride as well.

And there’s more yet; We have Tom DiMicelli joining us and he can’t wait to tell you all about our latest line card for the MX2000 series – the MPC9E - which, he enthuses, “when used in combination with the MX2020 3D Universal Edge Router creates the highest capacity, highest density, most full-featured single chassis edge router available today." We’ll have an MPC9E at the booth so you can can touch it, smell it and even take a selfie with it (there’s a prize for the best selfie too).

We'd love to welcome you to our booth and show you some of the great liive demonstrations. I'll be posting Twitter updates over the course of the show and you can get these via @neilpound. 

To help you plan your time effectively a little more detail follows. 

Northstar Controller Demonstration

This industry-first NorthStar traffic optimization WAN SDN controller automates the creation of traffic-engineering paths across the network, increasing network utilization and enabling a customized programmable networking experience. With the power of Junos OS, WANDL optimization algorithms, and transport abstraction, NorthStar Controller enables efficient design, bringing new levels of control and visibility that help you avoid costly over provisioning. Our demonstration includes  the new 2.0 enhancements such as Dynamic Multi-Layer Optimization and High Availability.

Contrail Networking Demonstration

Juniper Networks Contrail Networking is a simple, open, and agile SDN solution that automates and orchestrates the creation of highly scalable virtual networks. These virtual networks let you harness the power of the cloud for new services, increased business agility, and revenue growth. Junipers Contrail Networking is:

• SIMPLE: Creates virtual networks that integrate seamlessly with existing physical networks, and that are easy to manage and orchestrate.
  • OPEN: Avoids expensive vendor-lock with an open architecture that interoperates with a wide range hypervisors, orchestration systems, and physical networks.
  • AGILE: Speeds time to market for new services by automating the creation of virtual networks that interconnect private, hybrid, and public clouds.

We’ll demonstrate how Contrail can build robust and agile service chains to support virtual network functions and tenant based services.

EVPN Deep Dive

EVPN and EVPN-PBB are VPN technologies that use Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) as a control-plane for MAC address signaling and learning over a network core to provide Ethernet based L2/L3 VPN solutions. In this EVPN use case analysis we present six applications of Ethernet VPNs:

• Data Center Interconnect,
  • Business Edge
  • Metro Ethernet
  • IP Core
  • Internet Peering
  • Over the Top (OTT) services.

The implementation options and benefits of EVPN technologies are unique to each of these applications. We’ll summarise the pros and cons of EVPN technologies in each of the six scenarios with an overview of the technology, alternatives and how to get the most out of your existing network by utilising EVPN.

Network Programmabilty with OpenConfig and Junos Demonstration

For years network operators have been faced with developing a number of techniques to manage multi-vendor environments. While network operating systems have evolved throughout the years often introducing APIs outside of their respective command line interfaces (such as NETCONF), operators have still been faced with dealing with a number of varying instructions, transports, data encodings as well as data content to either retrieve data or instruct similar intent down to the variety of management planes within the network.

Recently, a group of network operators joined forces to launch an initiative called OpenConfig in an attempt to solve these problems by introducing declarative configuration and vendor neutral model driven management and operations.

We will demonstrate how Juniper Networks has pioneered technologies such as YANG and NETCONF to form the basis of OpenConfig and how the modular and programmatic architecture of Junos has put Juniper Networks at the forefront of supporting 3rd party data-models such as OpenConfig, streaming telemetry, and modern RPC frameworks.

Cloud CPE Demonstration

Junipers Cloud CPE solution simplifies service creation and automates service delivery to improve the efficiency of your operations, and increases your network’s revenue-generating capabilities, all at scale. Cloud CPE incorporates the modular Contrail product suite giving you the ability to:

• SCALE, using Juniper’s industry-leading, modular management and orchestration software stack for NFV telco cloud.
  • SIMPLIFY, service creation, shortening the process to a few seconds.
  • AUTOMATE, service delivery, reducing time from months to minutes.

At the Juniper booth we will demonstrate both centralized and distributed cloud CPE.

Top Kudoed Authors