SRX Services Gateway
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Bulk upgrade Junos on large quantity of SRX's

‎02-08-2018 11:19 AM

Hi all,

I have a rather large batch of SRX300 (>100) which needs a manual Junos upgrade before they go out.

What I need to accomplish is;

1. Upgrade Junos to 15.1X49-D110 or D120

2. make snapshot of newly updated Junos to alternate partition

3. Reset to factory default config

The SRX300's are delivered with 15.1X49-D70.

First task is easy to accomplish with either ZTP or USB autoinstallation but this will not handle task 2 and 3. Especially 3 is difficult as I cannot put junos-config.conf on the USB drive as the factory default configuration cannot commit due to missing root authentication.

Right now we are talking about unpacking batches of 15-20 boxes with same amount of USB drives and then a serial console server to access multiple devices at the same time.

Any inputs on this task can be optimized will be more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

--
Best regards,

Jonas Hauge Jensen
Systems Engineer, SEC Datacom A/S (Denmark)
3 REPLIES
SRX Services Gateway

Re: Bulk upgrade Junos on large quantity of SRX's

‎02-08-2018 11:34 AM

Hi,

One that i can think of is discovering these X number devices in JUNOS Space Platform and perform the upgrade through the space platform. Refer to this link: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos-space17.2/platform/topics/task/operational/junos-s...

You can install the JS Platform ova package on an ESXiVM, check the minimum requriement etc..etc..

I'm sure there are other ways/tools & may require some script work as well but since these all Juniper nodes, why not utilize Space Platform to automate this process and reduce the downtime.

/Karan Dhanak
# Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.

SRX Services Gateway

‎02-08-2018 09:13 PM
Even i feel, junos space will be able to help you for mass upgrade..agreed with Karan.

If you have a speific template to be uploaded, u may use template to upload each switch from space & network director..

HTH.
Accept this as solution if it resolved your issue.
Kudos would be appreciated too.
SRX Services Gateway

‎02-11-2018 02:27 AM

Hi Jonas,

I am thinking along the lines of automation. A python script with pexpect would do the job. Not sure if this is feasible.

Iam attaching a sample script. Sorry, did not get a chance to test it. But I believe it would be fairly easy to understand and improvise.

Regards,

Vikas

Attachments