SRX

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Deleting the IDP signature database

Posted 09-06-2011 09:11

Is it possible to delete the idp signature database from a branch-level SRX (preferably not a factory-reset)?  I ran a trial license and now I want to reclaim the space so that I can fit a full Junos package onto one of the partitions.  License is deleted already, but the DB is still present.

super@SRX> request security idp security-package ?

Possible completions: 

download             Download security package (Package includes detector and deltas for attack table) 

install              Update attack database, active policy, detector with new package

super@SRX> show system storage

Filesystem              Size       Used      Avail  Capacity   Mounted on

/dev/bo0s3f             342M       126M       189M       40%  /cf/var

root@SRX% du -sh /cf/var/db/

120M    /cf/var/db/

Version is 10.4

• 2.  RE: Deleting the IDP signature database

Posted 09-06-2011 10:47

Hi

Its possible, what stops you from just deleting those files?

root@srxA-2% du -sh /var/db/idpd/
     76M    /var/db/idpd/
    root@srxA-2% du -sh /var/db/idpd/sec-download/
     21M    /var/db/idpd/sec-download/
    root@srxA-2% du -sh /var/db/idpd/db/
     48M    /var/db/idpd/db/

I had the same problem once (lack of free space on flash due to idp database) and

I moved largest files from those directories to my PC (via WinSCP) then upgraded JunOS

and returned them back. It was working. Not the best way to upgrade of course.

But you can delete the files, this should not be the problem.

• 3.  RE: Deleting the IDP signature database

Posted 09-06-2011 11:07

I figured that would be possible, but I'm not sure if just deleting the files via the shell cleans up all references to the files.  I would think that the option should be available via the CLI (probably using some 'request' command).  If that is not the case, I would think that there would at least be some KB article or documentation on how to 'manually' go about deleting the files and any references to them.

• 4.  RE: Deleting the IDP signature database

Posted 09-06-2011 11:22

Agree... By the way, they have that option for UTM, e.g.

request security utm anti-virus juniper-express-engine pattern-delete

Looks like if you want to delete IDP database in a supported way, you

have to go with "request system zeroize".

• 5.  RE: Deleting the IDP signature database
    Best Answer

Posted 09-07-2011 00:54

I had a database corruption earlier on this year.  I contacted JTAC and was sent instructions on how to delete the database.

If you follow the instructions to stop the IDP process and then delete the IDP database, it should help.

How to recover from database failures for IDP: 
    Disable idpd process from the configuration  

root@router> edit
    root@router# set system processes idp-policy disable root@router# commit

Once the idpd process is disabled, go to initialize (prune current records).

secdb failures, execute the following:
    root@router# exit
    root@router> exit
    root@router% rm /var/db/idpd/db/secdb* /var/db/idpd/db/rdm.taf

Now reboot the device (it will initialize the secdb database) root@router% cli root@router> request system reboot

RE attack cache (DFA/PCRE cache) failures, execute the following:
    Once the idpd process is disabled, we can go ahead to prune the database records

root@router# exit
    root@router> exit
    root@router# rm /var/db/idpd/db/dfa* /var/db/idpd/db/pcre* root@router# rm /var/db/idpd/db/cache.dbd /var/db/idpd/db/rdm.taf

Now reboot the device (it will initialize the cache database) root@router# cli root@router> request system reboot

Note: For RE attack cache, users need not do anything (the cache will build-up on subsequent policy compilation(s)).

After the device reboots, enable idpd process root@router% cli root@router> edit root@router# delete system processes idp-policy oot@router# commit

Now download the full-update of the security package and install it 

Download:
    root@router> request security idp security-package download full-update root@router> request security idp security-package download status

Once the download is complete, install it:
    root@router> request security idp security-package install root@router> request security idp security-package install status

The device is recovered from secdb failure.

The newer fimrware images have a smaller foot print and freee up storage space.

• 6.  RE: Deleting the IDP signature database

Posted 09-07-2011 03:52

+1 To johnrbaker - I hit this problem recently trying to upgrade from 10.0R3.1 running IDP - there was only 120MB of flash available.  Fortunately I stumbled onto this post at the JSRX Wiki:

http://jsrx.juniperwiki.com/index.php?title=IDP#Troubleshooting

To summarise, just delete everything in the idp database, then add your new image and reboot:

bdale@srx> start shell 
    bdale@srx% cd /var/db/idpd/db/
    bdale@srx% rm -rfv * 

• 7.  RE: Deleting the IDP signature database

Posted 10-07-2011 06:12

Glad to see that there is a 'sanctioned' removal method.  Hopefully, this process will become a little more elegant in a future release.

@pk & dfex: thanks for your input as well.