SRX Services Gateway
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Em0.0 ip address

‎04-29-2014 08:17 AM

Hi All,

I don't understand the way an SRX3400 cluster assign the IP address to the logical interface em0.0.
Could someone enlighten me about that?

Thank you.

A.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Re: Em0.0 ip address

‎04-29-2014 09:47 AM

Hi,

My understanding at the em0 control ports use internal only addressing and shouldn't be part of any routing instance.  I've read some interesting articles on this in the past, but nothing worth sharing.  Perhaps someone else may have something to add or can share a link on how this addressing is assigned.  I hope this helps.

John Judge
JNCIS-SEC, JNCIS-ENT,

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution". Kudos are appreciated.
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Re: Em0.0 ip address

‎04-30-2014 06:01 AM

Hello

EM0 are internal interfaces that connect between the Routing Engine (RE) and the Control Board (CB).  There is no correlation between EM0 to any physical interfaces.

The em0 corresponds to control link between clustered chassis. As for the 129.X addressing, it is used for intrachassis communication, and these addresses will be part of default private instance, which will not be reachable from global routing table.

Note: If this answers your question, you could mark this post as accepted solution, that way it helps others as well. Kudos will be cool if I earned it!