SRX Services Gateway
SRX Services Gateway

FAILOVER COUNT INCREASING on SRX

‎12-04-2013 11:59 AM

Hi everyone.

There is one router which is on cluster, what i have noticed is the failover cout is increasing to 70 . Also if i check core-dumps for that particular time , i have a few core dump as you see below.

-----------------------------------------

show chassis cluster status
Cluster ID: 1
Node Priority Status Preempt Manual failover

Redundancy group: 0 , Failover count: 1
node0 200 secondary no no
node1 100 primary no no

Redundancy group: 1 , Failover count: 70
node0 100 primary yes no
node1 1 secondary yes no

----------------------------

Router> show system core-dumps
node0:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
/var/crash/*core*: No such file or directory
-rw------- 1 root wheel 35378565 Sep 8 18:40 /var/tmp/flowd_octeon_hm.core-tarball.0.tgz
-rw------- 1 root wheel 35867932 Sep 14 14:28 /var/tmp/flowd_octeon_hm.core-tarball.1.tgz
-rw------- 1 root wheel 36245590 Oct 3 19:57 /var/tmp/flowd_octeon_hm.core-tarball.2.tgz
-rw------- 1 root wheel 36246346 Oct 11 19:53 /var/tmp/flowd_octeon_hm.core-tarball.3.tgz
-rw------- 1 root wheel 37515096 Dec 4 07:46 /var/tmp/flowd_octeon_hm.core-tarball.4.tgz
/var/tmp/pics/*core*: No such file or directory
/var/crash/kernel.*: No such file or directory
/tftpboot/corefiles/*core*: No such file or directory
total files: 5

node1:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
/var/crash/*core*: No such file or directory
/var/tmp/*core*: No such file or directory
/var/tmp/pics/*core*: No such file or directory
/var/crash/kernel.*: No such file or directory
/tftpboot/corefiles/*core*: No such file or directory

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone have seen this type of coredumps, if someone has already send  this type of coredumps to JTAC , what type of comments did you recieve from JTAC. Please share.

And anytroubleshooting in advance level is appreciated. 

ALREADY CHECKED jsrpd Logs . Chassid logs, log messages not much clue.

JMD
4 REPLIES 4
SRX Services Gateway

Re: FAILOVER COUNT INCREASING on SRX

‎12-04-2013 06:34 PM

Hi JMD,

Flowd coredump on SRX device will initiate a failover to secondary node because it will soft reset the cards.

for coredump cases , i would suggest you to contact JTAC and if it is already known , then they will provide the fix details.

Regards,
rparthi

SRX Services Gateway

‎12-04-2013 10:21 PM

But why it happens?? Is there any PR issue for the version i have mentioned, and also could you suggest me any further troubleshooting steps.? And since you are a juniper employee, could you let me know which type or tool is used by juniper to troubleshoot coredump files?

JMD
SRX Services Gateway

‎12-05-2013 06:20 AM

Hi 

Any vendor has its own tool to parse the dump files  which is internal tool and cannot be shared with anybody . what you need to do is to open a case with JTAC and send them the core files for their internal troubleshooting 

good luck

Regards

Red1

if this worked for you, kindly help other visitors/members of our community by tagging this post as "Accepted Solution".
Kudos are good way of appreciation.
-------------
Red1
JNCIE-SEC #158, JNCIP-SP, JNCIS- ( FWV, SA, AC )

SRX Services Gateway

‎12-05-2013 09:38 AM
That I understand, every vendor has its own tool. Limitization is also ok. But for opening a case also have some procedure. And sometimes I think it should be open to everyone at least for the juniper partners.

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

www.wipro.com
JMD