SRX

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
Expand all | Collapse all

GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

• 1.  GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-13-2017 18:46

Hello,

I have the following setup:

My network at Location A (Juniper SRX5800) advertises IP Pool #1 after which the downlink traffic for IP Pool #1 is routed to my Location B (Mikrotik) via GRE Tunnel between Juniper & Mikrotik. But the network uplink traffic from Location B flows via seperate ISP directtly connected to Mikrotik router and not via Location A(Juniper). So this is an example of Asymmetric routing. 

Now the problem is,

When I try to visit some websites, they do not open. But if I manually change MTU from default 1500 to 1460 for windows PC connected to mikrotik router at Location B, the websites opens up just fine.

Please help me where am I going wrong. Thanks a lot. !

• 2.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-13-2017 19:46

Hello,

When you access websites from Location B, is it suppossed to go directly to ISP at location B while reply is first coming to location A & then over GRE to Location B?

Or is it that http traffic to and from various sites goes out and comes in directly on Location B without any involvement of location A?

In your setup lower MTU frames might be getting passed as it is whie MTU of 1500 might be causing packet drops or fragmentation.

Regards,

Rushi

• 3.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-13-2017 20:11

When you access websites from Location B, is it suppossed to go directly to ISP at location B while reply is first coming to location A & then over GRE to Location B?

Yes, this is my case.

• 4.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-13-2017 20:15

Hello,

Ok. In the case MTU related explanation may be a good explanation why smaller packets are allowed while larger once are fragmented/dropped.

Note:- Even GRE encapsulation causes an overhead of few bytes increasing the size of the packet.

Regards,

Rushi

• 5.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-13-2017 20:24

So what do you think ? how can I solve this situation. I have tried increasing MTU size to 1524, df-bit removal, path-mtu-discovery. Nothing worked !

• 6.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-13-2017 20:58

Hello,

If your setup tends to drop/fragment packets when MTU is 1500 (due to encapsulation, overhead etc.) you will have to reduce the packet size so that packets can travel end to end without getting fragmented or dropped.

I do not see this as an issue unless a device is incorrectly dropping the traffic or fragmenting it which can be found out using packet captures on the devices in the path.

Regards,

Rushi

• 7.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-13-2017 23:30
                      Please view in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

+---------------------------------+    +-------------------+   +----------+
                |                                 |    |                   |   |          |
                |      Juniper Location A SRX5800 +----|Location B Mikrotik|---|INTERNET  |
                |                                 |    |                   |   |          |
                +---------------------------------+    +---------+---------+   +----------+
                                                                 |
                                                                 |
                                                  +--------------+-----------------+
                                                  |  MTU from def|ult 1500 to 1460 |
                                                  |                                |
                                                  +--------------------------------+

Please let me know if the connectivity is correct? If so, we may need to check the MTU in the segment between A and B.

• 8.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-14-2017 00:53

To get round this problem, you may find it helpful to implement Baby Jumbo Frames that will allow for encapsulation.

I have found that using BJF, browsing the internet is smoother, faster and less frenetic. This does involve making sure all devices have their MTUs set appropriately. If the connection from the Mikrotik to the Internet is PPPoE, that is more framing. Don't forget to set MSS on the SRX (1350).

• 9.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-14-2017 05:58

How is BJF set in SRX5800 for GRE?

• 10.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-14-2017 06:16

I have enabled the jumbo frames, i.e set MTU as 9192.

Still no effect.

• 11.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-14-2017 09:26

@anush3070 wrote:

I have enabled the jumbo frames, i.e set MTU as 9192.

Still no effect.

I have -

workstations --> switch --> SRX300 --> modem(PPPoE) --> FTTC cabinet --> Internet

I have to adjust MTU differently on all these different types of device as more encapsulation occurs at each stage, and each type of device has different capabilities as far as maximum MTU is concerned.

Critically, I had to discover if my Fibre cabinet (and its Exchange connection) had been upgraded to accept BJF (yes, it had to full Jumbo frames), then I had to check the maximum MTU the modem could handle, then the maximum that PPPoE would pass through, and so on back to the switch and workstation.

SO the MTU increases as packets pass from workstation to the internet, matching the increase in packet size. Simply adjusting the size on one device in isolation is not sufficient.

I use 

admin@MartyMcFly#set security flow tcp-mss all-tcp mss 1350

as a starting point.

When you have it right you know because web pages "snap" rather than dawdle. But it all depends on the specific equipment and how the internet provider has configured your connection, and the ability of the modem to work with different frame sizes. So it would be misleading for me to give you my sizes, because they are not universally applicable. If one device is a bottleneck all the devices connecting to it have to be adjusted.

A lot of people have blogged about this.

Ensure MTU settings in router & PC (if you ever changed it) are 1500.

ping with

ping -f -l nnnn bbc.co.uk

Find largest nnnn for which it doesn't need fragmentation.

Then add 28 to get MTU.

Vigor 130 is RFC 4638 compliant (Baby Jumbo Frames) MTU = 1508

BT uses (VLAN) tag 101

therefore, PC Ethernet interface is set to 1500

My result 1464 + 28 = 1492 (Workstation IPv4 Ethernet MTU is 1500) where are the missing 8 bytes? PPPoE encapsulation.

Assume MTU is 1508, then 1464 + 8 + 28 = 1504 (??4 bytes for VLAN tag??)

Calculation

MTU = PPPoEWrapper + MSSOverhead + MSS

1508 = 4 + 40 + 1464

• 12.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-15-2017 19:06

Tried changing MTU at all locations, but still not fixed !

• 13.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-16-2017 04:23

Be aware that different manufacturers do not always define MTU in the same way, or even across all their product lines.

Also did you set MSS - 

admin@MartyMcFly#set security flow tcp-mss all-tcp mss 1350

• 14.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-16-2017 05:41

Yes, the MSS is also set.

• 15.  RE: GRE Tunnel, MTU problem

Posted 06-16-2017 07:04

You need to adjust mss on a mikrotik. It's done by overwriting MSS field in the TCP SYN packet. As SRX never sees the syn packets (only returning traffic) it will not adjust it.