SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Is it safe to manually delete files from /var/transfer/config on a SRX3400?

Posted 05-24-2019 07:17

Hello,

we have a SRX3400 cluster configured with "set system archival configuration transfer-on-commit". Now I realized that the secondary node was not able to transfer its config file to the configured host for some time.

We now have a lot of config files in /var/transfer/config/ which could not be transferred. If I repair the configuration, all these file would be transferred, which is not necessary. So I would like to delete a big part of all those files.

I am now wondering how this archival job is working and if it is safe to delete files manually from that directory. I haven't found information on this. I currently can think of two possibilities:

1. The archival job checks from time to time if there are files in that directory. If yes, they are transferred in an order from oldest to newest. Once a file is transferred, the job deletes the file. I think, in this case it would be safe to delete the files manually from the directory.

2. Upon commit a new config file is created for transfer and a list is updated with the new file name. The archival job parses this list and transfers the listed files. Once the file is transferred, its name is removed from the list and the file is removed as well.

If I delete files manually, I would not update this list. Maybe it makes a difference, if I delete those files from shell (rm -f /var/transfer/config/$filename_pattern)  or from CLI (file delete /var/transfer/config/$filename_pattern)?

Does someone have a hint on this?

Thanks in advance,

Hermod

• 2.  RE: Is it safe to manually delete files from /var/transfer/config on a SRX3400?
    Best Answer

Posted 05-24-2019 08:02

Hi Hermod,

Im not sure how the exact process works but I confirmed with JTAC that you could manually delete those files without problems. You can use either the shell command or the Junos command that you mentioned.

I hope this information helps you. Please mark my comments as Solution if it applies.

• 3.  RE: Is it safe to manually delete files from /var/transfer/config on a SRX3400?

Posted 05-25-2019 06:08

The process is as you describe in option 1.  The list of files is taken from the actual directory listing and transfered in order of age oldest first.  So removing files that are there has no adverse affect.

• 4.  RE: Is it safe to manually delete files from /var/transfer/config on a SRX3400?

Posted 05-27-2019 06:41

Hello, I thank you both for your answers! Helped me a lot to have this clarified.

• 5.  RE: Is it safe to manually delete files from /var/transfer/config on a SRX3400?

Posted 05-27-2019 14:43

You are very welcome Hermod, Im glad we were able to help you.