SRX Services Gateway
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Management using fxp0 only

‎02-26-2018 01:21 PM

Are there any issues with using fxp0 only for management of an SRX? Are there any limitations in regards to SNMP, NTP, etc.?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Re: Management using fxp0 only

‎02-26-2018 05:36 PM

fxp0 interface on Juniper node is ideally designed for out-of-band mgmt port for your router, telnet/ssh/snmp/ntp..etc should be fine. https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB19710

/Karan Dhanak
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎02-26-2018 08:09 PM
I have configured SNMP for MX,M and EX using OOB ports and found working not on SRX. Only thing which is required is the reach ability between OOB interface and SNMP server. For NTP, i beleive the same should be case with SRX.

HTH.
Accept this as solution if it resolved your issue.
Kudos would be appreciated too.
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎02-27-2018 02:48 AM

Another thing to be aware of is that the fxp0 port lives in the root or base routing instance.  So you need to be sure that the reply traffic to all the servers connecting and polling the fxp0 traffic goes back out the fxp0 port.  

Asymmetrical traffic generally will break the flow and cause the communications to fail.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
http://puluka.com/home
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎03-05-2018 12:06 PM

Thanks for all the responses. It doesn't appear that fxp0 only for management is a good idea. I had configured different IP addresses for fxp0 on each node with a similar master-only IP. Unfortunately, an fxp0 link failure on the primary node means I lose network connectivity to the master-only IP. I decided, in addition to fxp0, to burn revenue ports and manage the cluster via a loopback.