SRX

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  NPC in wrong slot srx 3400

Posted 07-15-2015 00:21
      |   view attached

hello everyone, I apologize for my bad English in advance. I'm in a really bad situation here that may cause me to get fired.

I have put an NPC module in srx3400 in slot 3 and the device did not boot properly, so I removed it to get back to the previous stable state and again powered it on but again the kernel could not boot properly so searched for a recovery process and the results showed me here http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB16652#bootloader indicates that this process does not work for high-end devices (3400), and worse than that is I'm really scared about any hardware damages. I put the log file in attachments. Please help me about this, it's so important to me actually my career depends on it. Thank you so much in advance.

Attachment(s)

txt
    SRX-TSHOOT.txt   18 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: NPC in wrong slot srx 3400
    Best Answer

Posted 07-15-2015 00:29

Hello ,

I can give you an easy and fast way to recover . If you have another SRX3400 in your network , connect a USB to that device , take a snapshot using command :

> request system snapshot media usb partition

Now once its complete , connect the USB to the faulty SRX3400 and reboot or power cycle . It will try to boot from USB . Once its booted up , copy the snapshot to SRX using

> request system snapshot  media internal

Let us know if this is possible .

• 3.  RE: NPC in wrong slot srx 3400

Posted 07-21-2015 22:18

Thank you so much, it work with a little effort & change in second command. Actually instead of request system snapshot  media internal, I had to use equest system snapshot  media flash. And a little something else is you have to use the usb port on routing engine instead of the one in front of the mainboard. Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: NPC in wrong slot srx 3400

Posted 07-21-2015 22:23

Hello ,

Thanks for the update and posting the work around . It wil be helpful for others also .  Smiley Happy

• 5.  RE: NPC in wrong slot srx 3400

Posted 07-15-2015 00:32

Hello ,

Or you can try to upgarde from loader prompt :

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos14.2/topics/task/installation/security-junos-os-boot-loader-usb-storage-device-srx-series-device-installing.html

>Connect USB with image

>Boot the device and press space bar  till you get ">" prompt .

> the follow the steps above .

Make sure to have the configuration backup .

• 6.  RE: NPC in wrong slot srx 3400

Posted 07-15-2015 00:48

Thank you so much sam for youre fast reply, actually there is another of this device in the site but the problem is it's on the costomers site so it will take me some days to go there and try these solutions, I will try them and share the result. Is there any other suggestions before I go to the site? becase it's not an easy work to do. thank you so much.

• 7.  RE: NPC in wrong slot srx 3400

Posted 07-15-2015 00:51

Hello ,

You can try the Loader upgarde method that I have shared in my previous post . If the faulty device is local to you and you have access to it .  Also the link that you shared , its applicable for all SRx devices , there is no limitation for SRX3400 . You can try them .