SRX Services Gateway
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Need assitance with mPIM upgrade for VDSL2 vectoring.

‎04-27-2018 01:40 AM

Good evening everyone. 

A number of months back, I purchased a second hand SRX210 with a VSDL2-A mPIM.  Now NBN Co. (Australian National Broadband Network) are due to roll out in the next 6-12 months are they provide vectoring with the VDSL2 and I'd like to be as ready as possible before my ADSL2+ connection disappears and we move over to VDSL2.

I have been trying to locate the correct file(s) to enable me to upgrade the VDSL2-A mPIM's Firmware from 2.10 to 2.16 which is what I am lead to believe, is required for vectoring on VDSL2.

I have included some system details below.

Now, I have searched high and low to try and locate to correct file but I come up empty handed. Some posts suggest that the Firmware updates should be included with the SRX210's software update file, but I'm not finding that to be true. I also keep finding differences in the naming of the files with some being 'jfirmware-srxsme.....' and the other, 'junos-srxsme....'

I suspect that I NEED the 'jfirmware' files but for the life of me, I cannot locate them on the Juniper website with correct or same revision number that I require. The only file I seem to be able to locate and download, are the junos-srxsme... files. Am I missing something??

Any help in locating the file(s) required to allow my to upgrade the Firmware of the VDSL2-A mPIM would be very muchly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers, Colin.

root@XXXXXXXX> show version
Hostname: XXXXXXXX
Model: srx210he2
JUNOS Software Release [12.3X48-D50.6]

root@XXXXXXXX> show system firmware
Part             Type           Tag Current   Available Status
                                    version   version
FPC 1
  PIC 0          VDSLBCM        10  2.10.0              OK
Routing Engine 0 RE BIOS        0   2.8       2.8       OK
Routing Engine 0 RE BIOS Backup 1   2.8       2.8       OK

root@XXXXXXXX> show chassis hardware
Hardware inventory:
Item             Version  Part number  Serial number     Description
Chassis                                XXXXXXXXXXXX      SRX210HE2
Routing Engine   REV 06   750-048672   ACLG3448          RE-SRX210HE2
FPC 0                                                    FPC
  PIC 0                                                  2x GE, 6x FE, 1x 3G
FPC 1            REV 19   750-025184   ACLN4438          FPC
  PIC 0                                                  1x VDSL2 Annex A
Power Supply 0

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Re: Need assitance with mPIM upgrade for VDSL2 vectoring.

‎06-06-2018 04:08 AM

Seriously?

125+ views, 5 weeks and not one response?

All I'm after is a point in the right direction.

KB notes suggest that the firmware update 'should' be included with JunOS updates but I'm not finding that to be the case. Or does it need to be a Jfirmware file? If so, where does one get those files from? I can download JunOS files without issue.

If I need to sign up for support and raise a JTAC case so be it but a little help would be appreciated thank you.

Regards, 

Colin aka Bald_Noggin 

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎10-16-2018 02:10 PM

Hi Colin

Did you ever get a jfirmware package for the SRX210? (12.1x46?). I'm struggling myself to find this. There is another thread that Juniper have been responding to requests and uploading them temporarily to ftp shares but I'm not sure it's still active. On a device that's already EOL I'd be frustrated if I had to renew support on a device especially as it won't receive even software updates after 6months or so from now.

Thanks

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎10-16-2018 02:41 PM

Hi, Colin

Please check this post for the same topic. In summary JTAC will provide you with the file:

https://forums.juniper.net/t5/SRX-Services-Gateway/SRX110H2-OS-and-Firmware-difference/m-p/362193#M5...

I hope this helps.

Pura Vida from Costa Rica - Mark as Resolved if it applies.
Kudos are appreciated too!
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎10-16-2018 04:08 PM
Many thanks for the very prompt response but I no longer have any SRX210s under active service contracts so cannot open a case with JTAC. This is the same problem many people are having with the cards used in these models. According to the release notes the jfirmware for the MPIM is supposed to be included in the JUNOS update package but it’s missing for some reason
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎10-16-2018 04:18 PM

Hi jporter,

Can you share the release notes document where this is stated? I want to check if it is for specific versions only.

Pura Vida from Costa Rica - Mark as Resolved if it applies.
Kudos are appreciated too!
SRX Services Gateway

‎10-16-2018 10:54 PM

Hi 

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB31818&actp=RSS

SUMMARY:

Starting with Junos 12.1X46-D55, firmware v2.16.0 is available for SRX-MP-1VDSL-A to support VDSL vectoring. Vectoring on VDSL reduces crosstalk and increases network bandwidth.

SYMPTOMS:

A new version of SRX was installed, but not seeing updated firmware version for VDSL card

and

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/topic-collections/release-not...

Release 12.1X46-D55 Software Features

Interfaces

• G.993.5 Vectoring support for VDSL modules on SRX Series devices— Starting with Junos OS Release 12.1X46-D55, firmware version, v2.16.0, is available for SRX-MP-1VDSL-A to support VDSL vectoring. Vectoring on VDSL reduces crosstalk and increases network bandwidth.

[For more information, see Upgrading the VDSL PIC Firmware in the Junos OS Release 15.1X49-D50 Feature Guide. ]

Also, there is another thread where Juniper have been uploading files on a request by request basis to the juniper ftp download site however it's not really scaleable since only one person seems to be responding there:

https://forums.juniper.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/srx/thread-id/48612/page/2

Many thanks