SRX

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Reth LAG Interface Failover using interface-monitor or minimum-link knob??

Posted 03-08-2012 15:04

Hi Experts

I have two SRX3600 cluster in A/P. The reth interface has 4 interfaces from each node. My requriement is that as long as two physical interfaces out of four on primary nodes are up then redundancy group should be active on primary node but if three physical interfaces out of four are down then redundnacy group should failover to secondary node.

My question is that should we use minimum-link knob under reth interface configuration OR should I use interface-monitor with weights? How about if I use both also.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Reth LAG Interface Failover using interface-monitor or minimum-link knob??
    Best Answer

Posted 03-09-2012 02:39

Id prefer the interface monitor with weights but Id say you could configure this with both as you said, with minimum-link the default is 1 so setting this to 3 would be a quite simple option I suppose.

Note that the minimum-links setting only monitors child links on the primary node

With weights a failover will occur if the interfaces >= 255.

So if you have 4 interfaces in reth and you set the weight to 255 then the unit will fail over if one of the links go down.

Your reth has 4 interfaces. Set the weight on each interface to >=85 and you will have to lose 3 interfaces before the unit would failover.

• 3.  RE: Reth LAG Interface Failover using interface-monitor or minimum-link knob??

Posted 03-09-2012 05:45

Hi

Thanks for the reply. So If preemption is enabled and we use minimum-link knob (which is 3) for failover instead of interface-monitor. In this case if node0 (primary) lost the threechild interfaces then failover will happen and RG is failovered to node1 (secondary).

My quetion is that in this scenario when child interfaces on primary node again comes up, what do you think minimum-link knob wil do the failover from secondary node to primary node because as you said minimum-link will monitor the child interfaces only on primary. So the failover will not happen rihgt??

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Reth LAG Interface Failover using interface-monitor or minimum-link knob??

Posted 03-09-2012 06:24

This is a good question.  I think you would have to manually fail the RG back to primary once again as you said.

Anyone else able to clarify for sure?

• 5.  RE: Reth LAG Interface Failover using interface-monitor or minimum-link knob??

Posted 12-18-2012 06:25

*** bump ***