SRX Services Gateway
SRX Services Gateway

Routing Same Network Over VPN Tunnels

‎12-11-2019 09:37 AM

Hi All,

I have a customer with a VPN setup to my one site with the termination on my SRX240H2. This is a route based VPN tunnel, and proxy IDs have to be configured on this tunnel. Here is my issue, which would be resolved on newer devices using traffic selectors:

I have two subnets that my customer needs access to. These subnets cannot be grouped. My customer has provided a single subnet for access to my site. However, since I need to use proxy id's with these subnets configured, I need to configure two tunnels, each tunnel with the following proxy IDs:

Tunnel 1

* customer network, my network A

Tunnel 2

* customer network, my network B 

However, because these are route based tunnels, I now have a static route for the customer network pointing to two tunnels. If traffic comes into Tunnel 2, the device may route it back through Tunnel 1. 

Is there a way to solve this issue that I'm missing? 

Unfortunately I cannot implement tunnels per routing-instance at this time. 

4 REPLIES 4
SRX Services Gateway

Re: Routing Same Network Over VPN Tunnels

‎12-11-2019 09:55 AM
Just a thought (not tested). Configure only one tunnel and as responder(remove establish-tunnel immediately keyword) and configure NO proxy-id. The default proxy-id is 0.0.0.0/0 and vpn should come up. Now configure static route for customer network towards the tunnel.
Please check if possible.
Thanks,
Nellikka
JNCIE x3 (SEC #321; SP #2839; ENT #790)
Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!
SRX Services Gateway

[ Edited ]
‎12-11-2019 09:57 PM

Hello,

@tsizzle63 wrote:

My customer has provided a single subnet for access to my site. However, since I need to use proxy id's with these subnets configured,

Do You mean "provided a single subnet for access FROM my site"? 

@tsizzle63 wrote:

I need to use proxy id's with these subnets configured, I need to configure two tunnels, each tunnel with the following proxy IDs:

Tunnel 1

* customer network, my network A

Tunnel 2

* customer network, my network B 

If both sides use route-based IPSec VPN, then proxy-ids can be arbitrary. The only restriction is that they must match on both sides. JUNOS route-based VPN does not check if packet-to-be-encrypted matches proxy-id for that tunnel.

@tsizzle63 wrote:

because these are route based tunnels, I now have a static route for the customer network pointing to two tunnels. If traffic comes into Tunnel 2, the device may route it back through Tunnel 1. 

Is there a way to solve this issue that I'm missing? 

AFAIK, this is not an issue with SRX route-based VPN. Once valid forward packet comes via Tunnel2, then SRX creates a session that points to Tunnel2 for the return packet, irrespective where the return route points to.

HTH

Thx

Alex

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
SRX Services Gateway

‎12-11-2019 10:44 PM

Hi,

> You do not need to use a proxy-id unless the other end is enforcing the same, perhaps through ACLs etc.

> If you can switch to proxy-id blank (all 0s) it would be the easiest move

> You can always control the traffic using security policies

> The other option is for customer to NAT traffic to two IPs provided by you

> VPN 1: NATIP1 ----> Your subnet A (st0.1)

> VPN 2: NATIP2 ----> Your subnet B (st0.2)

> Route NATIP1 to st0.1 and NATIP2 to st0.2

I hope this helps. Regards,

Nelumbo

SRX Services Gateway

‎12-12-2019 08:59 AM
Hello Tsizzle63, Since your issue is routing and you can't work with routing-instance , the only route-based solution left is "Traffic Selector". Alternatively, you can configure your side of tunnel to be "Policy Based". Btw, the "traffic-selector" feature was introduced in 12.1X46-D10. I think you can simply upgrade your SRX240H2 to 12.1X46 based release . Thanks!