SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX : 802.1q trunk and VLAN subinterfaces on ge-x/x/x without ethernet-switching ?

Posted 03-21-2017 10:25

Hi,

I need to use 2 trunk interfaces from one (same) srx to one ex4300.

ge-0/0/0 : routing-instance VR0 : trunk mode, VLAN 100, 101 => ex4300, ethernet switching/trunk interface

ge-0/0/1 : routing-instance VR1 : trunk mode, VLAN100,101 => same ex4300, ethernet switching/trunk interface

After reading the doc, I think I need to put ge-0/0/0 and ge-0/0/1 in family ethernet-switching to be able to use them as 802.1q trunk, and then configure vlans interfaces 100 and 101 as family inet with ipv4 addresses.

But I fear that if I configure ge-0/0/0 and ge-0/0/1 with "family ethernet-swiching", the SRX will then switch between those ports, hence creating a ethernet loop with the EX4300.

What I wnat is to use ge-0/0/0 and ge-0/0/1 as *routed* ports with VLAN sub-interfaces. I don't want any ethernet switching at this level on the SRX.

Is it possible or impossible with Juniper SRX ?

I suppose that if it works with ge interfaces, the behavior is the same with reth interfaces ?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: SRX : 802.1q trunk and VLAN subinterfaces on ge-x/x/x without ethernet-switching ?
    Best Answer

Posted 03-21-2017 14:01

Hi pascalfr0,

If You just want to have multiple L3 interfaces in those VLANs you should do something like this:

ge-0/0/0 {
        vlan-tagging;
        unit 100 {
            vlan-id 100;
            family inet {
                address 172.14.1.1/24;
            }
        }
        unit 101 {
            vlan-id 101;
            family inet {
                address 172.17.1.1/24;
            }
        }
    }

Analogously for the ge-0/0/1 which would be in the other routing instance.

There will be no switching between the ports.

• 3.  RE: SRX : 802.1q trunk and VLAN subinterfaces on ge-x/x/x without ethernet-switching ?

Posted 03-22-2017 03:18

ok thanks.

All the example configurations I found online were with "ethernet-switching" family for the trunk interface, so I was afraid that ethernet-switching was mandatory for defining vlan subinterfaces.

I asked my Juniper support about this, and his answer was close to yours. No problem configuring L3 sub-interfaces on reth interfaces, and no pb configuring same vlanid on different interfaces attached to different routing-instances.

reth0 {

vlan-tagging;

redundant-ether-options {

redundancy-group 1;

}

unit 100 {

vlan-id 100;

family inet {

address 1.1.1.2/24;

}

}

}