SRX Services Gateway
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

SRX Juniper Lab

[ Edited ]
‎05-01-2014 03:15 PM

Hello users,

It's not that long since I entered the JunOS world. My aim is to finish the security track. So, I am here to ask you what do you propose as a training gear.

For now I am working on some Juniper Olives that I have installed on GNS3. It is fine till now, but the CLI is very limited so I am planning to buy an SRX device and link it with the Olives, at least in order to get the JN0-332 (JNCIA-SEC) cert. And then buy another one if needed.

What are your thoughts for commencing with one SRX? I am going to need more for JN0-332?

Any other thoughts about connecting with Olive?

Regards,

Evangelos

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Re: SRX Juniper Lab

‎05-01-2014 04:01 PM

Any of the SRX preferably with high mem will do. The things you will need to know for the exam not handled by the SRX is mainly about how traffic is processed on branch as opposed to the data center SRX. If you get  a hold of J-Series to use as the Internet, for the vr that would be even nicer. You need to be able to configure and moniotor UTM. Be sure to look at the exam topics and I think there are some KB articles mentioned...believe me they are fair game. I had taken one of these exams and had a couple of questions which seem like French to me and I made sure Juniper knew that. only to check to see, the questions were from the KB and yes they are fair game. The Appendix material is also where several questions can come from. I find that going over the Lab guide questions and the outputs generally seals it for me. Sometimes the info in the study guide is not that clear but the lab guide explanations is very good.

[KUDOS PLEASE! If you think I earned it!
If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

[ Edited ]
‎05-02-2014 04:46 AM

Hi Lyndidon,

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping that an Olive in GNS3 could replace a J series router for start. My low budget is the problem. 

As for the the KBs, I wasn't aware of that and I found it very helpfull to start with. What I didn't understand though, is the part that you mention the Appendix. For which Appendix are you talking about? The only book from Juniper I was able to find was one for the JNCIA-Junos that had Appendix. Is there any for the JNCIS-SEC that I missed?

Regards,

Evangelos

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎05-02-2014 11:06 AM

Not every cocurse will have a kb associated with it (the kb I was refering to actually was associated with JNCIP-SEC), but most will have an appendix. The official courseware does have an appendix that discuss the different SRX and modules that can be used and NPU/SPU processing etc. You have to learn all that stuff.

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/es_track.html#jncisec

I am sure you can use a cloud to represent the rest. I understand the budget limitations. Believe me I certainly do:)

[KUDOS PLEASE! If you think I earned it!
If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎05-02-2014 11:29 AM

Maybe you ask one of your SEs if he could provide you with a trial version of Firefly Perimeter (Juniper Virtual SRX)

😉

Have some fun working out for the SEC Track

Regards

NULL

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎05-06-2014 12:22 PM

Okay guys,

Thanks for your guidance. I think I know what I'll do now.

Regards,

Evangelos

Feedback