SRX

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  SRX100-HM Slooooooow Boot, Sluggish J-Web

Posted 03-25-2011 17:53

So, I have been working with Cisco PIX and ASA's over the last few years.  Been hearing alot of buzz about Juniper lately.  Decided I should get more familiar with the products and JunOS platform.  Got my hands on a SRX100-HM.  The idea was, at the SRX price point and feature set, maybe I would start offering the units to my small biz customers over the ASA5505's (which are currently in short supply).  I also set up some router Olives on GNS3 and VMware workstation to play with.

That being said, so far I am liking JunOS.  On the Olives the CLI, JWeb seem very responsive.  Commit's and Reboots are also quick as expected (similar to previous Cisco experiences).  I have even updated the Olives through a couple revisions (which was a little slower), but not too bad.  The Olive updates took anywhere between 1 and 3 minutes.

BUT that SRX100-HM.  What a SLOOOOOW piece of hardware.  Seriously, am I missing something here?  Got the HM version because it had more usable memory (enabled).  Currently running JunOS 10.0R3.10.  Commits take several minutes (not major configuration changes).  The JWeb interface is EXTREMELY sluggish.  I hear the 210's are just as bad.  I'm afraid to update JunOS because I'm reading stories on here of 20-40 minute update times (and bricks in some cases).  It's been rolled back to factory defaults and still slow.

At which model of SRX or which version of JunOS does this get better?  What products are the Juniper gurus offering to their small biz clients?

Insight & Comments always welcome...

• 2.  RE: SRX100-HM Slooooooow Boot, Sluggish J-Web

Posted 03-25-2011 18:21

Hi,

I'm running 10.4R2.7 on my SRX100 without issue.  The earlier versions were a little sluggish and had a lot of bugs, but I must admit Juniper has done a nice job with resolving the bugs and adding new features.  I would recommend an upgrade and make sure you dual boot it. 

-John

• 3.  RE: SRX100-HM Slooooooow Boot, Sluggish J-Web

Posted 03-25-2011 18:39

Thanks firewall72.

Dual Boot?  Is there a reference doc on how to set this up?

• 4.  RE: SRX100-HM Slooooooow Boot, Sluggish J-Web
    Best Answer

Posted 03-26-2011 08:06

The easiest way to upgrade the bootloader is described here: http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB14175.

#upgrade