SRX Services Gateway
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

SRX1500 - Branch Full BGP Multihoming?

‎11-03-2017 06:50 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently searching for a Branch Router, which is capable of Full BGP feeds. My requirements are:

*) 2x IPv4 Full BGP Table

*) 2x IPv6 Full BGP Table

*) 1 Gbps throughput

*) 3x 10G Ports, and some 1G Fiber Ports

*) Redundant Power Supply

*) Real packet forwarding, complete disabling of all Security features

When I look at the Datasheet of SRX1500, this box seem to fit these requirements, with 16 GB RAM, Redundant Power Supply, and Route table size (RIB/FIB) (IPv4 or IPv6)  2,000,000.

I have some experience with the older J-Series Routers (J4350 and J6350), and these have some problems with packet forwarding only mode, beginning with the merge of JUNOS without Security and JUNOS with Security (I think it happened beginning with JUNOS 9.3).

My question is: Does someone have any experience with SRX1500 devices as branch routers with Full BGP Tables? Is this box considered as stable for this use case, or is it still a Security only box, where packet forwarding can work, but sometimes it doesn't?

There is not any compareable box for this from Juniper, especially for this price. Even MX150 does not have so many ports, or even a redundant power supply.

Thanks for your input.

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution".
If you think that my answer was helpful, please spend some Kudos.
2 REPLIES 2
SRX Services Gateway

Re: SRX1500 - Branch Full BGP Multihoming?

‎11-03-2017 11:09 PM

I would like to answer in following parts.

A.

1. SRX 1500 is very stable in terms of features (Routing +  Security)

2. We have been running it for one of datacenter environment and found perfectly fine without any issues.

3. Though it does not have bgp as routing protocol.

4. However, from my experience i do not see a problem in packet mode or flow mode for this box.

B. 

Your requirements are more of SP segment than for Pricing you may get in touch in SE for MX series devices.

As per my understanding MX80 may be a suitable choice.

HTH.

Accept this as solution if it resolved your issue.

Kudos would be appreciated too.

HTH.
Accept this as solution if it resolved your issue.
Kudos would be appreciated too.
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Re: SRX1500 - Branch Full BGP Multihoming?

‎11-04-2017 03:53 AM

> Your requirements are more of SP segment than for Pricing you may get in touch in SE for MX series devices.

> As per my understanding MX80 may be a suitable choice.

That's my problem. MX series would definitely suite better than SRX series for my use case. However, no MX router has the same capabilities than SRX1500. MX80 has too less RAM for Full BGP, MX104 is crap in terms of performance (20 minutes to load a Full BGP feed, really?).

Now MX150 is here, but only with 2x 10G ports and one fixed Power Supply. And a redundant power supply is mandatory.

That's why I wanted to know if someone has the SRX1500 device in usage for BGP multihoming with Full BGP feeds.

Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution".
If you think that my answer was helpful, please spend some Kudos.
Feedback