SRX Services Gateway
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

SRX3600 Cluster Upgrade

‎03-05-2020 08:01 PM

Hi, 

I will be upgrading SRX3600 cluster on version 12.3X48-D85. 

If I perform "request system reboot node all", would be there any impact on master while they come online after reboot? Suppose if node 1 comes online compare to node 0 then might be it gets the master role? is that right?

OR 

Reboot each node individually is a better option?

current chassis cluster status: 

show chassis cluster status

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 2.58.58 pm.png

Regards,

CP

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

Re: SRX3600 Cluster Upgrade

‎03-05-2020 08:28 PM

Hey CP1

Greetings. here is a nice blog post that will e enlighten you about this, based on my experience as well I can't agree enough with it Smiley Happy

https://blog.marquis.co/upgrading-a-srx-chassis-cluster/

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too \Smiley Happy/

Regards,

Lil Dexx
JNCIE-ENT#863, 3X JNCIP-[SP-ENT-DC], 4X JNCIA [cloud-DevOps-Junos-Design], Champions Ingenius, SSYB

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎03-06-2020 12:10 AM
“request system reboot node all” is not a valid command on SRX. You have to reboot the nodes individually.
Thanks,
Suraj
Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too
Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎03-06-2020 04:57 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

If that command is not valid then, I need to Simultaneouslyenter the following command on each node. In this case, would the master role preserve with the same node as previous? 

OR 

whoever comes online first takes the role of the master?

Also, "request system software add "package" no-copy unlink": what's unlink mean here? 

Thank you.

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎03-06-2020 04:13 PM

"request system software add "package" no-copy unlink" -> Here the "unlik" removes the installed package from the folder after finishing the upgrade.

If someone can point out about what would be cause for master election if I reboot the devices simultaneous after adding the OS?

OR

I need to first reboot the device which I want to make master and wait then for a few minutes and then reboot another device so that it can become primary.

Thanks.

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎03-06-2020 08:00 PM

Hello,

Please reboot the devices within a gap of 30secs.

> The device you reboot first will assume mastership

> A failover or master switch would happen only if prempt is configured and the node with the better priority is not the master

> Please note that this applied to each RG individually

Hope this helps. Regards,

Nelumbo

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎03-07-2020 04:23 PM

Hi Nelumbo,

Thanks for your response. 

I will do the upgrade and update here. 

Regards.

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎03-09-2020 07:56 PM

Hi All,

The upgrade went successfully. I reboot the devices in the gap of 40 secs.

I noticed with SRX3400 there are two storage spaces allocated for the snapshot - Hard disk and Flash drive. 

Can I keep the previous OS on Hard disk and current OS on Flash drive? I want to do this just in case if something goes wrong with new upgraded OS, I can rollback. 

Thanks for your support. 

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎03-09-2020 11:09 PM

Hello,

Check the current snapshot. I believe there should be one snapshot already in the HD.

"show system snapshot"

You can take a copy of the existing snapshot on usb - request system snapshot media usb

Regards,

Nelumbo

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎03-10-2020 04:24 AM

Hi Nelumbo,

The SRXs already have the snapshots both in HD and Flash. I have checked it before the upgrade. So after the upgrade, I need to take a snapshot for the new OS. 

My question is - Can I take the previous OS snapshot in HD and new OS snapshot in Flash drive? 

OR 

The snapshot should be the same on both drives - HD and Flash?

Thanks.

Highlighted
SRX Services Gateway

‎03-11-2020 01:27 AM

Hello,

The snapshot need not be the same on both HD and Flash.

So I suggest keep the current snapshot on the HD  as is(I believe this is from the pervious version). Create a new snapshot to save to the USB (this would be the latest one). This way you have the previous snapshot on HD and latest snapshot on flash.

I hope this meets your requirement. Regards,

Nelumbo