SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Selecting the right SRX

Posted 08-17-2016 03:08

I will be really greatful if some one can suggest me a SRX model based on the following:

SRX to be placed in core in a small datacenter

Total number of user is 500

Providing:

1. Bandwidth Management
    2. Web Filtering/ Application Filtering
    3. Layer 7 application control (Block all kind of torrents, anonymous proxy website)
    4. Gateway Antimalware
    5. Gateway Antivirus
    6. Intrusion Detection
    7. VPN
    8. Routing  (BGP is mandatory)

Kindly also let me know how did you come to choose your suggested SRX

• 2.  RE: Selecting the right SRX
    Best Answer

Posted 08-21-2016 12:18

Choosing the right model SRX is a matter of figuring out your capacity needs and comparing these the the platform limits.

Your items 2-6 are simply licenses that you can select from the parts list based on the model you final end up with.

BGP is a supported protocol on all the SRX.  The limits on the smaller platform will be with the size of the routing table supported.

# of users is not a helpful figure for determining limits on the device.  No firewall company licenses per user anymore so the user count is not really relevant.  Instead, what matters is the nature and volume of traffic the user group will generate.

These are factors you will need to quantify or make a guess on there size:

Overall Bandwidth

# of Site-to-site VPN

Bandwidth within VPN

Once you have  an estimate for these and any other larger factor for the site you can start with the comparison chart to see where you fit for each of these in the SRX line.

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/security/srx-series/compare/#a=P110,P220,P300,P550,P1400,P1500,P3400,P3600,P5400,P5600,P5800

• 3.  RE: Selecting the right SRX

Posted 08-23-2016 04:59

Hi Steve 

Yes I understand, but the issue is that I don't have any other info besides the one provided, how should I proceed to find bandwidth requirments and other info like concurrent session just based on the following:

"A small datacenter having 500 users"

• 4.  RE: Selecting the right SRX

Posted 08-23-2016 05:19

Hi Mannan,

"A small datacenter having 500 users" is not enough to choose any SRX at all.

You need to get more Infos because with this requirement it is nearly impossible to impossible finding the correct SRX.

• 5.  RE: Selecting the right SRX

Posted 08-23-2016 16:43

Sorry, but number of users is simply not helpful.  The fact that it is a data center location is some help to guessing the probable sizing.  But it will still be a guess.

If this is an upgrade or move of a site, then the best source of bandwidth and session data is the current site which you can then apply some kind of increase in % as an estimate.

• 6.  RE: Selecting the right SRX

Posted 09-25-2016 11:33

Indeed, you guys are right, its best to get as much info as possible to choose the right firewall.