SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  Takes ages to shutdown after a Junos update

Posted 04-07-2014 11:20

I got a Junos 11.4R3 update (had 11.2). Installed following the instructions I found on the Juniper site. Although I am pretty sure I don't have pending commits I did forget to check it. Basically I did a request system software add no-copy, using an FTP source, and this is what happened after that:

root@router> ...ssword@10.10.1.2/data/downloads/junos-srxsme-11.4R10.3-dome   
    /var/tmp/incoming-package.12721                       1862 kB 1862 kBps
    Package contains junos-11.4R10.3.tgz ; renaming ...
    NOTICE: Validating configuration against junos-11.4R10.3.tgz.
    NOTICE: Use the 'no-validate' option to skip this if desired.
    Formatting alternate root (/dev/ad0s2a)...
    /dev/ad0s2a: 299.7MB (613852 sectors) block size 16384, fragment size 2048
            using 4 cylinder groups of 74.94MB, 4796 blks, 9600 inodes.
    super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
     32, 153504, 306976, 460448
    Checking compatibility with configuration
    Initializing...
    Verified manifest signed by PackageProduction_11_2_0
    Verified junos-11.2R4.3-domestic signed by PackageProduction_11_2_0
    Using junos-11.4R10.3-domestic from /altroot/cf/packages/install-tmp/junos-11.4R10.3-domestic
    Copying package ...
    Verified manifest signed by PackageProduction_11_4_0
    Hardware Database regeneration succeeded
    Validating against /config/juniper.conf.gz
    cp: /cf/var/validate/chroot/var/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/resolv.conf are identical (not copied).
    cp: /cf/var/validate/chroot/var/etc/hosts and /etc/hosts are identical (not copied).
    mgd: commit complete
    Validation succeeded
    Validating against /config/rescue.conf.gz
    mgd: commit complete
    Validation succeeded
    Installing package '/altroot/cf/packages/install-tmp/junos-11.4R10.3-domestic' ...
    Verified junos-boot-srxsme-11.4R10.3.tgz signed by PackageProduction_11_4_0
    Verified junos-srxsme-11.4R10.3-domestic signed by PackageProduction_11_4_0
    JUNOS 11.4R10.3 will become active at next reboot
    WARNING: A reboot is required to load this software correctly
    WARNING:     Use the 'request system reboot' command
    WARNING:         when software installation is complete
    Saving state for rollback ...

root@router> request system halt 
    Halt the system ? [yes,no] (no) yes 

Shutdown NOW!
    [pid 13645]

root@router>                                                                                
    *** FINAL System shutdown message from root@router ***                       

System going down IMMEDIATELY                                                  

Connection to 10.10.1.1 closed by remote host.
    Connection to 10.10.1.1 closed.

After that it started the shutdown, with the two leds on the left turning amber, and that is where it has been staying. That was more than one hour ago.

I guess I can freely assume I have a problem. Am I supposed to wait? I'm concerned I can make the situation worse if I just turn it off. Any suggestion? Many thanks

EDIT: forgot to say, it's an SRX220H

• 2.  RE: Takes ages to shutdown after a Junos update

Posted 04-07-2014 14:37
    Connect via the serial console and see what it says. The upgrade process looks correct.

• 3.  RE: Takes ages to shutdown after a Junos update
    Best Answer

Posted 04-07-2014 15:46

Hi there,

You ran the 'request system halt' command instead of 'request system reboot'. The system will never come back, as you have halted it rather than requested it to reboot.

You'll have to power the device down and turn it back on to come back.

I hope this is of help,

• 4.  RE: Takes ages to shutdown after a Junos update

Posted 04-07-2014 22:27

Thanks, indeed I powered it down manually, and it seems that it's running the newer version now. I'm still having concerns that it didn't install correctly, but I guess I have to assume you were correct.

Can you by chance tell me why halt didn't do the job? I would expect them to be the same, at least for the shutdown part.

EDIT: never mind, I think I found it. What I want power-off, not halt

• 5.  RE: Takes ages to shutdown after a Junos update

Posted 04-07-2014 22:50

Hi there, power-off is not what you want either.

If you are upgrading software, the 'request system reboot' is your friend. 'request system halt' will halt the operating system, ready for the device to be powered down. I've not entered 'request system power-off' into a device for at least five years, however I don't recall that it did anything different over a halt.

When I upgrade Junos, I always reboot the node; then once it is back, I enter the following command to ensure that both partitions are running the same version of code - this is handy, especially if you are using features that are reliant upon a certion version of code.

request system snapshot slice alternate

In the event of an ungraceful powering down, the primary image may become corrupted and if the backup code is a different release, you can end up with missing configuration elements etc. This is also worth noting on the EX if you have a virtual chassis, as all members need to run the same version of code. You can check whether this is the case by entering the following command:

user@node> show system snapshot media internal 

Information for snapshot on       internal (/dev/ad0s1a) (backup)

Creation date: Feb 17 09:22:50 2014

JUNOS version on snapshot:

junos  : 12.1X44-D26.2-domestic

Information for snapshot on       internal (/dev/ad0s2a) (primary)

Creation date: Dec 13 19:03:38 2013

JUNOS version on snapshot:

junos  : 12.1X44-D26.2-domestic

I hope this is of help

• 6.  RE: Takes ages to shutdown after a Junos update

Posted 04-08-2014 11:07

Interesting, I see all these things are on the SRX too, even if the documentation doesn't mention it.

And I did the same before seeing I can actually do the same on a USB stick. Might be helpful.

I wanted to do a power-off because I have something strange with DHCP and the ge interfaces, and I thought power-off might be a safer bet. I should have done it before starting the upgrade in the first place. Next time I'll reboot.

• 7.  RE: Takes ages to shutdown after a Junos update

Posted 04-08-2014 11:00

You can also verify that all was upgraded properly by using the command

>show version detail

All the modules should be at the same version.

• 8.  RE: Takes ages to shutdown after a Junos update

Posted 04-07-2014 15:59

mountainrescuer is correct. You should have simply added the reboot switch so it would automatically reboot after the upgrade. So you will definitely have to manually power cycle the switch now. That is what that command is for. Next time, use >request system reboot

You should not have any issues and the reboot definitely should not make the situation any worse. Either way, at this point, youhave no other option but pwoere cycle. 🙂