SRX Services Gateway
SRX Services Gateway

Upgrade SRX240h-DC soft from 11.2R4.3 to Junos-12.1X46-D40.2-domestic

[ Edited ]
a week ago

Hello, guys!

I have a problem during upgrading software. Here logs:

Spoiler

Using junos-12.1X46-D40.2-domestic from /altroot/cf/packages/install-tmp/junos-12.1X46-D40.2-domestic
Copying package ...
Verified manifest signed by PackageProductionRSA_2015
Hardware Database regeneration succeeded
Validating against /config/juniper.conf.gz
cp: /cf/var/validate/chroot/var/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/resolv.conf are identical (not copied).
cp: /cf/var/validate/chroot/var/etc/hosts and /etc/hosts are identical (not copied).
Network security daemon: warning: You have changed mpls flow mode.
Network security daemon: You have to reboot the system for your change to take effect.
Network security daemon: If you have deployed a cluster, be sure to reboot all nodes.
Network security daemon: warning: Inet flow mode has been changed to packet-based mode for mpls mode modification.
Network security daemon:
Network security daemon: warning: You must reboot the system for your change to take effect.
Network security daemon: If you have deployed a cluster, be sure to reboot all nodes.
Connectivity fault management process: rtslib: ERROR kernel does not support all messages: expected 102 got 98,a reboot or software upgrade may be required
Connectivity fault management process:
Connectivity fault management process: rtslib: WARNING version mismatch for msg notify msg: expected 0 got 216,a reboot or software upgrade may be required
Connectivity fault management process: rtslib: WARNING version mismatch for msg residx: expected 98 got 95,a reboot or software upgrade may be required
Connectivity fault management process: rtslib: WARNING version mismatch for msg unknown: expected 98 got 6,a reboot or software upgrade may be required
mgd: commit complete
Validation succeeded
Validating against /config/rescue.conf.gz

Network security daemon: warning: You have changed mpls flow mode.
Network security daemon: You have to reboot the system for your change to take effect.
Network security daemon: warning: Inet flow mode has been changed to packet-based mode for mpls mode modification.
Network security daemon:
Network security daemon: warning: You must reboot the system for your change to take effect.
Connectivity fault management process: rtslib: ERROR kernel does not support all messages: expected 102 got 98,a reboot or software upgrade may be required
Connectivity fault management process: rtslib: WARNING version mismatch for msg notify msg: expected 0 got 216,a reboot or software upgrade may be required
Connectivity fault management process: rtslib: WARNING version mismatch for msg residx: expected 98 got 95,a reboot or software upgrade may be required
Connectivity fault management process: rtslib: WARNING version mismatch for msg unknown: expected 98 got 6,a reboot or software upgrade may be required
mgd: commit complete
Validation succeeded

Should I skip this warnings and reboot srx for upgrade?

May be i should upgrade SRX to any other version?

6 REPLIES 6
SRX Services Gateway

Re: Upgrade SRX240h-DC soft from 11.2R4.3 to Junos-12.1X46-D40.2-domestic

[ Edited ]
a week ago

Hi,

You cant upgrade from 11.2 to 12.1X46. You have to first move from 11.2 to 11.4 and the from 11.4 to 12.1X46.

From 11.2 you need to move to 11.4 which is an eeol version and then you can move to 12.1X46 which is another eeol release. See "Upgrading and Downgrading among Junos OS Releases" section on the release notes from 12.1X46-D40 version:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/topic-collections/release-not...

Advise: make a backup of your SRX configuration in case something goes wrong during the upgrade.

Please mark this post as Resolved if you consider so.

SRX Services Gateway

[ Edited ]
a week ago

It might be hard to find junos version 11.4 so I believe that you can try the following:

1. Make a backup of the configuration. Run the following command and copy the output to a text file.

# show | display set | no-more

2. Try the upgrade in the following way:

> request system software-add no-validate no-copy unlink [junos_image] partition reboot 

3. Once the SRX comes up with the new version go ahead and paste the configuration back. You can use the "load set terminal" command for this.

Note: if the SRX fails to boot, recover it by following these instructions:

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB33005&actp=METADATA

SRX Services Gateway

Wednesday

Hi Pelldis

Did you have any luck?

SRX Services Gateway

Wednesday

Hi Pelldis,

As Andres correctly stated, if you would like to upgrade the device from 11.2 -> 12.1X46, you should upgrade to an intermediate release 11.4. However, it is quite difficult to get the 11.4 version unless you open a case with JTAC where they will have access to Junos archives.

Alternatively, you can upgrade the Junos from 11.2 -> 12.1X46D40.2 directly via Bootloader using USB storage as mentioned in the following technical documentation - https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/install-software-on-srx.html#id-i...

Let me know if you face any difficulty.

Thanks,
π00bm@$t€®.
Please, Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!
SRX Services Gateway

Wednesday

Hi!

Moved version to 11.4, next I tried to move to 12.1x10 - same problem

SRX Services Gateway

Wednesday

Hi Pelldis,

Could you please elaborate on the issue which you're facing? Also, may I know why you've moved to 12.1X46-D10 rather than moving directly to 12.1X46-D40.2?

Also, did you had a chance to look into my previous suggestion regarding the Bootloader upgrade via USB?

Thanks,
π00bm@$t€®.
Please, Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!