SRX Services Gateway
SRX Services Gateway

booting previous Junos OS version after upgrade

‎08-29-2019 04:59 AM

Hi all,

After upgrading Junos version on 650srx, the new version was working fine...But after while box was needed to reboot. We did. After reboot, we realised previous junos version had been loaded and now it is still running... As it is running what should we do to force the latest version permanently working?

And also can I ask you guys about where we made a mistake when upgrading new junos version?

Ths

A.

3 REPLIES 3
SRX Services Gateway

Re: booting previous Junos OS version after upgrade

[ Edited ]
‎08-29-2019 07:08 AM

Hi Arix,

When you reboot the device, did you notice any banner like ** WARNING: THIS DEVICE HAS BOOTED FROM THE BACKUP JUNOS IMAGE **?

If the primary and secondary partitions are different, you can check using the below command:

root@SRX> show system snapshot media internal

Because, if the Primary partition is corrupted then the device will be booted from the Backup partition. I suspect this might be the case. In order to fix this, please refer to the following KB article - https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB20554&cat=SRX340&actp=LIST

May I know how did you perform the Junos upgrade? i.e. via SRX CLI or Junos Space or any other methods.

Also, the interactive-commands log file is a good place to start where we can see the set of commands that were executed.

Thanks,
π00bm@$t€®.
Please, Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!
SRX Services Gateway

‎08-29-2019 07:34 AM

Arix,

I could only think of two options:

1. SRX boot from backup partition:

a-) Check "> show system storage partitions", "> show chassis alarms" and "> show system snapshot media internal".

b-) Recover primary partition: "> request system snapshot slice alternate"

c-) I suggest to reboot the SRX and check that everything is working fine with the commands listed on step a.

2. Someone might have ran "request system software rollback" so when you rebooted the SRX, it started to use the previous Junos version. You could check this on the interactive-commands log file (if configured):

d-) check > show log interactive-commands | match "request system software rollback"

Please mark my answer as the Solution if it applies.
SRX Services Gateway

‎08-29-2019 07:46 AM

Arix,

Please also check the following log files to see if you could find more information. Check the logs from the time of the reboot:

> show log messages

> show log chassisd

Please mark my answer as the Solution if it applies.