SRX

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  srx chassic cluster reth number

Posted 05-16-2012 23:26

dear Juniper

there are 7 reth  in srx HA

but reth-count is set as 8

what will happend?

how about set reth-count as 6.what will happen?

thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: srx chassic cluster reth number

Posted 05-16-2012 23:36

Hi,

When you set your reth-count as 8, you will get 8 reth interfaces starting from reth0 to reth7 .  In this case you will not be able to use any other reth interfaces (beyond this range) .

When the reth-count is 6, you will get 6 reth interfaces, starting from reth0 to reth5 . If you are using any other reth interfaces beyond this range like (reth6,reth7 etc) , you will not get any commit error , but they (those interfaces config)  will not be used. for example if  you check , show interfaces reth6 , you will get device not found error message.

• 3.  RE: srx chassic cluster reth number
    Best Answer

Posted 05-16-2012 23:46
    and one more thing is , having a reth-count value higher than the reth interfaces currently in use is not a problem.

This reth-count value also decides how many redundancy-groups you can have .

RG number(id) can not exceed reth-count value . for example ,if your reth-count value is 6 ,you can not have redundancy-groups 7,8 and so on . you can have from RG0 to RG6 only. If you try to configure redundancy-group 7 , you will get a commit error.

• 4.  RE: srx chassic cluster reth number

Posted 05-21-2012 10:31

Hi Pradeep

Just one question. I have reth interfaces reth0 to reth3 and I want to assign each reth interface to each RG. So the RG wil be from RG1 to RG4 means reth0 assigned to RG1, reth1 to RG2 and so no.

What reth-count I need to set? reth-count 4 will work?

Thanks

• 5.  RE: srx chassic cluster reth number

Posted 05-21-2012 14:10

>>

Just one question. I have reth interfaces reth0 to reth3 and I want to assign each reth interface to each RG. So the RG wil be from RG1 to RG4 means reth0 assigned to RG1, reth1 to RG2 and so no.

>>

Multiple RGs are used for active-active configuration. If you do things this way, you will force traffic to traverse the data connection (fabric link) between the two members, a lot. I really don't see any benefit.

In most configurations, keeping all interfaces in  RG1, so they fail over together, is the way to go.

• 6.  RE: srx chassic cluster reth number

Posted 05-21-2012 20:57
    Yes,reth-count 4 works in case you want to associate one reth to one RG. You will get reth0 to reth3 and RG1 to RG4 (of course RG0).