Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  Best Option for Netscreen Firewall (Study purposes so Cheap is a PLUS) :D

Posted 01-24-2014 14:16

Hello Experts,

I want to learn as much as possible about Netscreen as I will handle cases of it on a regular basis.

I wanna get my own box to practice at home whenever I have time so this is not for a production enviroment, not even for my home. Just for my lab for learning purposes.

Which is the best option available regarding budget and funcionality (Commands similar to the latest Netscreen models,etc).

I appreciate all of the advises.

Regards

Jcarvaja

• 2.  RE: Best Option for Netscreen Firewall (Study purposes so Cheap is a PLUS) :D
    Best Answer

Posted 01-24-2014 15:23

You will need a model that can run the 6.3 code.

I use the SSG5 in my own lab boxes.  They are pretty reasonable on the used market and support both the 6.3 ScreenOS and have the ability to run three virtual routers.  

With multiple VR you can setup VPN tunnels and peering links to three nodes all in the same physical box.

I will also make a shameless plug for my free intro course on ScreenOS.  The login is optional you can just select guest to enter.  The login is only required to be able to use the quizes so the system can process results.

http://puluka.com/classes/

• 3.  RE: Best Option for Netscreen Firewall (Study purposes so Cheap is a PLUS) :D

Posted 01-24-2014 22:15

Hi 

In addition of Steve Recommendation to use SSG5 , you need 2 boxes to practice clustering NSRP , (extended license required)

it is not bad idea to use it for your home network , I am using SSG20/Wifi model , and oblige all in my home to pass through it , I block some URLs for my kids using webfiltering , and also I can enable UTM features on it , I can monitor the session count and can also know if which host in my network is consuming bandwidth and may be part of botnet .

Regards

• 4.  RE: Best Option for Netscreen Firewall (Study purposes so Cheap is a PLUS) :D

Posted 01-25-2014 08:02

I agree Red1 that running the home network on your Juniper device helps to keep the daily hands on in place.  With my first SSG5 wireless I did this and then create two VR that I used as lab devices.

I've since added two independent SSG5 and SRX100.  It is nice not to worry about knocking the home internet off-line in the lab exercises.