ScreenOS Firewalls (NOT SRX)
Highlighted

Install SSG550M image to blank CF

‎12-17-2008 06:51 AM

Is there a way to lay a bootable image to a blank compact flash card for a Juniper SSG-550M similar to the CF install media that is available for JunOS? I know that the flash is partitioned in a specific way and reqires a boot1 and boot2 loader to be present on the first partition. I have the proper ScreenOS firmware but I need to partition and make the flash card bootable before I can lay the image down on the CF. If I have an existing SSG550M card can I clone it using Norton Ghost or something similar or does Juniper have a utility to create the requied file system layout on the CF using a PC with a CF writer?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Install SSG550M image to blank CF

‎12-17-2008 08:17 AM

Hi,

This is straight from the ScreenOS notes:

You can obtain the ScreenOS firmware from the Juniper Networks website. To access firmware downloads; you must be a registered customer with an active user ID and password. If you have not yet registered your Juniper Networks product, then you must do so at the Juniper Networks website before proceeding.

Note: Before you begin a security device upgrade, you must have the most recent ScreenOS firmware. Check Upgrade Paths to ScreenOS 5.4.0 to make sure you have the required intermediate software, if any.

1. To get the latest ScreenOS firmware, enter http://www.juniper.net/support in your browser. Click Support > Customer Support Center, then perform the following steps:

1. Log in by entering your user ID and password, then click LOGIN.
    2. Select Download Software or pick the actual product you want to download from the Quicklink picker.

A list of available downloads appears.

Click Continue.

The File Download page appears.

Click the product link for the firmware you want to download.

The Upgrades page appears.

1. Click the link for the ScreenOS version you want to download.

Click the upgrade link.

The Download File dialog box appears.

2.  Click Save and then navigate to the location where you want to save the firmware zip file.

Note: Before loading the firmware, you must unzip the file.

You must save the firmware onto the computer from which you want to perform the upgrade.

If you want to upgrade the security device using the WebUI, save the firmware anywhere on the computer.

If you want to upgrade the security devices using the CLI, save the firmware to the root TFTP server directory on the computer. If you do not have a TFTP server installed on your computer, then you can download one from the Internet. If no TFTP server is available, you must use the WebUI to load the new firmware onto the security device.

After the firmware is downloaded successfully, the console prompts you:

Save to on-board flash disk? (y/[n]/m)

Entering y (yes) saves the file as the default firmware. This image runs automatically if you do not interrupt the startup process.

On some security devices, you can enter m (multiple) to save multiple firmware. You must select a filename at the following prompt:

Please input multiple firmware file name [BIMINITE.D]: test.d

The name in brackets is the recommended name automatically generated after you enter the name in the TFTP server. If you do not enter a name, the recommended name is used.

Note: You must enter a name that is DOS 8.3-compatible. The maximum length of the boot filename used by the Loader cannot exceed 63 characters.

Hope this helps,

Gavrilo 

Highlighted

‎12-17-2008 08:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.

This article assumes that the flash is already partitioned and has a boot loader on it just no firmware. I need to know how to do this if it is a blank flash card. It doesn't appear that theSSG500M series has any  kind of boot loader built in to BIOS just what is on the flash card.

Highlighted

‎12-23-2008 04:55 AM

Hi Carnch,

Sorry I mis-read your post. However, to back up the file system to the removable compact flash disk, issue the following
command:
user@host> request system snapshot media removable-compact-flash

The swap partition is used to capture system software failure memory snapshots when using the set system dump-device CLI command.
However, this is not required for normal router operation. Therefore the recommendation for upgrading to JUNOS version 8.5 and
higher is to remove the swap partition to free compact flash space.

The partition of compact flash with swap partitions prior to August 2007 for a compact flash allocation for 256MB
was approximately as follows:

Root partition: 135 MB
   Swap partition: 85 MB
   Config partition: 25 MB

Current units have the allocation as follows:

Root partition: 235 MB
   Config partition: 10 MB

Highlighted

‎12-23-2008 10:38 AM
Unfortunately that is for a Juniper router running JunOS and not an SSG running ScreenOS. They use two different file systems (Unix vs FAT32) so even doing that wouldn't work.
Highlighted

‎12-24-2008 02:57 AM

Bollocks! I thought they would be the same. I am clean out of ideas for the moment.

If I find anything useful I will post.

Gavrilo

Highlighted

‎12-26-2008 04:12 PM

To my knowledge, ScreenOS devices do not have a way to image and replace a CF. ScreenOS is a proprietary OS and is not based on an existing OS like FreeBSD. Thus the file system and such is also proprietary and cannot be created outside of the unit. You must have a ScreenOS CF which was pre-installed by Juniper. Anything else is officially unsupported.

-Richard 

Highlighted

‎05-30-2010 02:59 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem: a SSG550M device but no working CF card. Is there any chance to create a working and bootable CF card on my own? I do not have any SSG550M modell to clone the CF card from, but an SSG350M. But unfortunately the device won't boot from. I also tried to upgrade the bootloader on this cloned SSG350M CF card, but as I can see the network interface won't get up, so that I can't reach the tftp server.

Regards,

Falk

Highlighted

‎04-19-2011 06:20 AM

Hi,

I saw your message about the CF card on a SSG. I am looking to buy a J2350 and use it as an SSG350M also.

I was wondering if you can send me the CF image from your SSG350M, willing to pay for it of course. Or I can provide you a junos-es image in exchange.

Regards

Highlighted

3 weeks ago

Hi,

I'm wondering if you solved your problem because i'm in a similar situation.

Regards