Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
  • 1.  SSG5 goes down every few hours

Posted 08-13-2009 13:14

hey, my SSG5 has been working perfectly for the past 3-4 months with absolutely no problems.  However, yesterday it started to go down every few hours.

the SSG5 is at a remote location, and the only way I have been able to get it to work is to do a remote power off (using the apc web interface our hosting company has provided us)

our host (they recommended this firewall to us) said upgrading the firmware may help.. but I can't seem to download it anywhere... all I get is an error saying I have no registered devices.. and I should register my serial number (which I had to do to sign up for this account). When I click to register my serial number.. it says I don't have permission, and if I believe this is an error, to fill out some form.. so I did that yesterday... and got a response back today...

Dear Derek,

In order to receive the access that your are requesting you will need to contact your channel account manager as they are the only ones who will be able to grant you the access that you need being that we do not have access to your account type. Thank you for choosing Juniper Networks and have a wonderful day.

hmmmmm... so I respond to the email..

I have no idea what or who a channel account manager is...  All I know is I ordered a juniper ssg-5 from directdial.com.. and recently its crewing up every few hours...

It was recommended to me by our host to try upgrading the firmware...  but apparently that's not as easy as it sounds...

I can send you the serial number if that helps... or do we need some kind of support subscription??  we do not mind paying to get the new firmware... But I can't find anywhere on your site to do that..

and a few hours later, I get a bounce back saying the email address was invalid... wonderful day... unlikely  😞

this is my current hw/fw version.. any ideas would be great... because I have spent over a day on this now.. and im still having to remotely reboot this thing every few hours.. and its getting old  😞

Hardware Version:      710(0)
          Firmware Version:    6.0.0r4.0 (Firewall+VPN)

Message Edited by DerekKnapp on 08-13-2009 01:19 PM
    Message Edited by DerekKnapp on 08-13-2009 01:21 PM
    Message Edited by DerekKnapp on 08-13-2009 01:23 PM

• 2.  RE: SSG5 goes down every few hours
    Best Answer

Posted 08-13-2009 14:34

Hey Derek - it sounds like your device is not registered with Juniper for support purposes. Every Juniper device comes with some form of limited warranty and you may or may not have bought additional support when you got the router from directdial.com

I would either attempt to work through your reseller, or if they are just a mail order place you might try calling Juniper "Customer Care" @ 888-314-5822.

Don't select technical support - select customer care (option 2 I think) and they can tell you if you device can be registered so that you can download from the web site. They are quite helpful.

• 3.  RE: SSG5 goes down every few hours

Posted 08-13-2009 14:50

thanks!!!

now hopefuly the firmware will fix the thing from dieing every few hours  🙂