Screen OS

last person joined: 8 months ago 

This is a legacy community with limited Juniper monitoring.
Expand all | Collapse all

SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

• 1.  SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-09-2008 14:48
    Hello,

I have a SSG5 with wireless, and are trying to get a Apple TV (connected by wireless 192.168.2.x net) to sync with iTunes on a PC (connected by cable 192.168.1.x net).

The SSG5 puts the wireless and cable PCs on different subnets, but the Apple TV need to be on same subnet as the PC with iTunes on in order to be able to sync.

How do I solve that problem ?

Thanks in advance..
    #appletv
    #SSG5

• 2.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-09-2008 16:21
    I am not that familiar with whatever protocol Apple TV uses. But be sure to check that you have security policies to allow the ports between your host zone and your wireless zone. I found a list of them on Apple's website.

However, you may need to use source nat on the host PC zone to your wireless zone. Other than that I would check on Apple's website for more details.

• 3.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-10-2008 06:26
    Hi,

I haven't used the SSGs but I understand that you can create a bridged interface that includes both wireless and fixed Ethernet ports. This was never possible with the NS5GT, much to my annoyance ;-). If this is possible, then that's what you need to do. By creating a single bridged domain, you'll have a single subnet and the PC and the AppleTV will be able to talk to each other.

Rgds,

Guy

• 4.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-10-2008 12:22
    FWIW, SlingBox (sort of the anti-Apple TV Smiley Wink ) has similar issues - on a local network it will auto-discover, but across a subnet you must expicitely define the SlingBox host (and give it a static IP) and it's IP address for a client on subnet A to communicate to a SlingBox on subnet B. I have not been able to discover what discovery protocol is in play, but clearly something non-routable.

-Keith

• 5.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-11-2008 08:56

@gdavies wrote:
    Hi,

I haven't used the SSGs but I understand that you can create a bridged interface that includes both wireless and fixed Ethernet ports.

That about creating a bridged interface, sound like something that should make it work.

Is there anyone that can explain to me how to configure that ?

Thanks in advance..

• 6.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-12-2008 06:20
    Hi,

I looked around the documentation and the feature you're looking for is bridge group interfaces (bgroup0 to bgroup3 or bgroup0/0 to bgroup0/2). According to the documentation for ScreenOS 6.0 (Fundamentals) you can create bridge groups from ports on the SSG. As I mentioned, I've never had to play with an SSG so I have not tried this (although it would make my life much easier if the NS5GT supported this behaviour :-).

Rgds,

Guy
    #group
    #wireless
    #bgroup
    #bridge
    #SSG
    #ethernet

• 7.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-12-2008 11:27
    There are a number of articles in the Juniper Knowledge Base (http://kb.juniper.net/ ) which cover this - select firewall from the pulldown and type 'bridge mode' in the question box and the first article involves an SSG (and you'll notice we call it "transparent mode")

However, we do not support a mixed-mode - it's either a router, or a bridge, not both. So carefully consider whether this is an appropriate option.

Regards,

-Keith

• 8.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-12-2008 11:51
    Hi Keith,

So the bgroup interfaces aren't like other interfaces that can themselves have an ip address and be routed? I thought that was how it behaved because it appears that a bgroup is an interface that happens to contain a number of ports (kind of like a vlan interface).

I am not an expert in ScreenOS by any stretch of the imagination but that was what I thought the purpose of the bgroup interface was.

Rgds,

Guy

• 9.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV
    Best Answer

Posted 01-12-2008 15:55
    Oops I think I dated myself (and also no ScreenOS expert) - time to go back to boot camp!

I think you're right (intro'd in 6.0, I'm on 5.4 and like you on a 5GT otherwise I'd test it out).

Here's the except from the SSG5 HW guide:

"You can set an SSID to operate in the same subnet as the wired subnet. This action allows clients to work in either interface without having to reconnect in another subnet. To set an Ethernet and a wireless interface to the same bridge-group interface:

WebUI

Network > Interfaces > List > Edit (

bgroup_name) > Bind Port: Select the wireless and ethernet interfaces, then click Apply.

CLI

set interface

bgroup_name port wireless_interface

set interface

bgroup_name port ethernet_interface

NOTE:

Bgroup_name can be bgroup0—bgroup3.

Ethernet_interface

can be ethernet0/0—ethernet0/6.

Wireless_interface

can be wireless0/0—wireless0/3.

If a wireless interface is configured, then you need to reactivate the WLAN with

the CLI

exec wlan reactivate command or click Activate Changes on the Wireless> General Settings WebUI page."

-Keith

Message Edited by KB_Fan on 01-12-2008 04:14 PM
    #bgroup

• 10.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-13-2008 04:12

@kb_Fan wrote:

WebUI

Network > Interfaces > List > Edit (bgroup_name) > Bind Port: Select the wireless and ethernet interfaces, then click Apply.

At first the wireless0/0 wasn't selectable but I found out that it was because I had to remove the IP net from it first and put it in the null zone.

After that I had no problem moving it to bgroup0 and now my wireless and cabled machines get IPs from the same subnet and everything work 🙂

Thank you for the help.

• 11.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-13-2008 05:15
    Hi,

Glad to hear it's all working for you. It's not uncommon to have to remove higher layer config before you can modify lower layer config. I know that the E series is the same.

Thanks to Keith for spending the time to actually read through the documentation more thoroughly than I did 🙂 Now, how do I get hold of an SSG5 to replace my NS5GT? 😄

Rgds,

Guy

• 12.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-14-2008 06:51
    Speaking of SlingPlayer, can someone post the modifications/rules required to open up port 5001 for remote viewing. I've been playing around with it for a bit but I've had no luck. Thanks!

• 13.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-14-2008 07:19
    Hi,

You probably need to do something like this...

set service "Slingserver" protocol tcp src-port 0-65535 dst-port 5001-5001
    set interface untrust vip untrust 5001 "Slingserver" /yourslingserversaddress/
    set policy id 11 name "Slingserver-In" from "Untrust" to "Trust" "Any" "VIP(untrust)" "Slingserver" nat dst ip /yourslingserversaddress/ permit
    set policy id 11
    exit

That creates the Slingserver service, applies it to a VIP on the untrust interface and creates a policy to permit it via the VIP on your untrust interface.

Rgds,

Guy

• 14.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 01-14-2008 09:48
    Guy,

That did it, thanks so much!! Smiley Wink

I was missing the NAT option!

• 15.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 02-05-2008 05:55
    Anyone found a solution to this problem with a 5GT?
    I have tried playing around with all of the mcast features of ScreenOS (5.4.0r6.0) but I am unable to make the 5GT forward the MDNS mcast messages (to 224.0.0.251) between the wired and wireless segment...
    Strangely enough it does forward messages going to another mcast address - 239.255.255.250.
    BTW, I checked and in both cases IGMP messages are sent by the clients but don't help anyway (no matter if I enable or disable IGMP on the interfaces of the FW).

Thanks!

• 16.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 02-05-2008 06:40
    Hi,

You should never be able to get any router to forward 224.0.0.0/24. It's supposed to be used for link-local traffic. If you want to do stuff within your administrative area, 224.0.1.0/24 is commonly used. These are 'well-known' groups and are assigned by the IANA.

239.0.0.0/8 is the nearest thing to a multicast equivalent of private address space (RFC1918).

Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is no way to make the NS5GT bridge between the wireless and the ethernet. If there were, I'd be a very happy man 🙂 As it stands, I have to use a third party AP to bridge onto my home LAN and the NS5GT provides connectivity for my Nintendo Wii 🙂

Rgds,

Guy

• 17.  RE: SSG5 wireless and Apple TV

Posted 08-26-2008 16:22

Guy,

Are you saying that the Wii connects wirelessly to the 5GT, or to the 3rd party AP?  Are there any special configuration issues to consider when trying to get a Wii to connect to a 5GT?  The Wii sees the wireless, but will not connect.  Any BTDT's?

chico