Service Provider Transformation
Juniper Employee , Juniper Employee Juniper Employee
Service Provider Transformation
A Physical Presence at MPLS SDN NFV World Congress 2016
Mar 17, 2016

Last week I had the pleasure to attend MPLS SDN NFV World Congress. Once again, the event brought together some exceptional people to discuss and debate some of the most critical issues in our industry.

Amid several virtual product demonstrations that kept the Juniper booth filled to capacity throughout the week, we also showcased the MPC9E line card for the MX2000 3D Universal Edge Router family.

Picture1.png

The first person I spoke with at the show was a network architect who worked for an operator that provides mobile, residential and business services. She mentioned that for her company, network bandwidth demand has doubled annually for the past five consecutive years.

She continued that three factors were driving this demand, and I began running through a mental checklist…New video service? Rapid population increase or demographic shift? The mythical killer app?

As it turns out, none of the above.

• The first factor was high speed access networks. The operator used fiber access to deliver residential multiplay services and high speed internet at up to a gigabit per second, and customers consistently subscribed to offers on the high end of the bandwidth spectrum.
  • The second factor was the combination of cloud adoption by their enterprise customers, who were purchasing increasingly high bandwidth VPNs and Internet connections.
  • The third factor was LTE adoption in their mobile network. Customers are now using more mobile devices and more bandwidth heavy applications more frequently, and for longer periods of time.

And so, both of us having travelled a great distance to learn more about MPLS, SDN and NFV, spent a considerable amount of time discussing trends in bandwidth demand. And while the names changed, the substance of this conversation, with subtle differences, was repeated many times during the week.

I brought this up during a post-conference discussion with David Roy, a well-recognized industry expert (check out Junos and Me) who keeps in close contact with networking professionals worldwide. Looking across a wide variety of network projects, he sees mainstream adoption of 10GbE between the access and service/edge network, and 100GbE connectivity between the network edge and core. He also notes that while 10GbE is readily found at Internet and peering points today, 100GbE is being used more frequently. David also said operators are considering 400GbE for not too distant transport, cloud and content provider connectivity.  

Given these trends, what makes the MPC9E and MX2000 family the best choice for edge/core routing? Here’s three reasons among many—

1. With industry leading 1.6Tbps throughput and 10GbE, 40GbE and 100GbE density, the MPC9E can achieve the same density of similarly positioned products while consuming half the number of precious router slots.
  2. The MPC9E uses Multirate MICs for network connectivity—10GbE, 40GbE and 100GbE can be configured on any port. This provides capitally efficient agility to mix and match interfaces speeds—and upgrade them as needed—simply by changing the optics.
  3. The MPC9E can accommodate multiple 400GbE streams, so customer investment is protected for the long-haul.

Picture2.png

I’ll revisit other highlights from the show in future blogs—I would like to share some of the great discussion around MPLS/SDN/NFV, Cloud CPE, Service Orchestration, and the Contrail Controllers.

In the meantime—please share your experiences with bandwidth growth rates, drivers and forecasts. What are you seeing?