Training and Certification

last person joined: 8 days ago 

How to get the most from Juniper's education services and get advice on your certification journey.
  • 1.  JNCIE Lab Environment

Posted 09-10-2012 07:34

Guys,

Barring AND prohibited information, is it possible to get the following questions answered?

For the actual JNCIE lab (SP specifically) -

1. Is the configuration carried out from a Desktop or Laptop?

2. If a laptop, is an external keyboard available, can a candidate bring on with him or both?

3. For either a desktop or laptop, what screen size (Diagonal 20', 24' 25' etc.) can a candidate expect?

4. Is the exam delivery on paper or is it electronic?

4a. If electronic, can a candidate expect multiple screens?

5. Which terminal emulator is used? (Putty or SecureCRT or Teraterm can make a huge difference on the exam day)

5a. Depending on the emulator, can a candidate open separate windows per device? Can tabs be utilized?

Thanks in advance,

Nic

#JNCIE
    #examdelivery
    #Labenvironment

• 2.  RE: JNCIE Lab Environment
    Best Answer

Posted 09-10-2012 08:32

Hi Nic,

Here are some answers to your questions..

1. Is the configuration carried out from a Desktop or Laptop?

-> It can very per location, you should assume a laptop.

2. If a laptop, is an external keyboard available, can a candidate bring on with him or both?

-> Yes you can bring a keyboard if you wish.  NOTE - be sure to arrive a bit earlier than normal to get it set up.

3. For either a desktop or laptop, what screen size (Diagonal 20', 24' 25' etc.) can a candidate expect?

-> This can vary, starting at 14" screen for laptops.

4. Is the exam delivery on paper or is it electronic?

4a. If electronic, can a candidate expect multiple screens?

-> Currently the exam is paper-based.

5. Which terminal emulator is used? (Putty or SecureCRT or Teraterm can make a huge difference on the exam day)

5a. Depending on the emulator, can a candidate open separate windows per device? Can tabs be utilized?

-> This can vary, you should assume Putty.  Yes you can open separate windows per device.

Regards,
    Kieran Milne

Tech Lead, JNCP

• 3.  RE: JNCIE Lab Environment

Posted 09-10-2012 12:35

Thanks Kieran,

If a person knew the location they were going to take the exam, could one get more specific answers?

One followup question as well. I would assume a 14 inch screen is essentially too small for such an important exam with a plethora of devices and windows needed to manage them.

Are there any plans to standardize this, like some competitors, to something bigger in the 23-25 inch range?

If yes, are there any associated timelines?

Thanks,

Nic

• 4.  RE: JNCIE Lab Environment

Posted 09-10-2012 13:46

Hi Nic,

Feel free to send me a PM with your location and I'll see if I can get you some more info.

I hear you on the larger screens, bigger is generally better in that regard; that said, candidates seem to get on ok under the current way of things.  We discuss plans for our facilities on an ongoing basis; there is no current plan to standardize on larger screens.

Regards,

Kieran

• 5.  RE: JNCIE Lab Environment

Posted 09-11-2012 12:02

One followup question as well. I would assume a 14 inch screen is essentially too small for such an important exam with a plethora of devices and windows needed to manage them.

Are there any plans to standardize this, like some competitors, to something bigger in the 23-25 inch range?

Hi Nic,

I could certainly see your point if you had all the devices open simultaneously and wanted to have enough screen real estate to actively see all these devices side by side. However, due to the number of devices that we have in the lab coupled w/ an average terminal of something like 80 lines x 25 lines, realistically there is no screen large enough even in the range that you've specified that will allow you to see all of these. Most of our candidates use tabs in SecureCRT so as to have the ability to easily tab between all of your working devices quite efficiently while still managing screen real estate.

• 6.  RE: JNCIE Lab Environment

Posted 09-13-2012 10:42

Hello Team,

One more question , Can we use J-Web for some configuration??? 

• 7.  RE: JNCIE Lab Environment

Posted 09-13-2012 11:34

Hi Sachin,

No J-Web. 🙂

Regards,

Kieran

• 8.  RE: JNCIE Lab Environment

Posted 08-12-2019 10:50

Bumping this up again.

After around 7 years now since the last reply on this topic, has anything changed? Most importantly, do you still use:

1- Laptops with 14' screens?
    2- Putty or SecureCRT?
    3- What kind of laptops is it there? Mac-based on non Mac-based?
    4- Is there a Notepad++ or sublime we can use? or just the plain vanilla notepad?

Thanks