Training and Certification

last person joined: 5 days ago 

How to get the most from Juniper's education services and get advice on your certification journey.
Expand all | Collapse all

Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

• 1.  Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 01-13-2011 03:26

Hello,

I really appreciate the effort that Juniper has put into the study guides and the computer-based training videos for the JNCIA and the higher exams. However, I think that candidates studying for Juniper exams, especially the JNCIA-JUNOS will still need a simulator that can emulate a real-life router and switch in operation.

The simulators I have seen out there good but not excellent. Hence I believe that if Juniper can produce one for its partners and people intending to become Juniper certified, this would be great.

I anticipate the soonest reply of a Juniper employee to my humble request.

Thanks,

Kunle,

U.K.

• 2.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 01-13-2011 05:33

Hi Kunie,

Your points are well taken.  Short answer (as you know), there is currently no Juniper simulator.  Your best option at this point is rack time through a training partner.  If you search this forum you will find some good discussion on where to rent lab equipment, etc.

Regards,

Kieran MIlne

Tech Lead, JNCP

• 3.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 01-14-2011 04:04

Hello Kieran,

I want you to understand that rack time is expensive and Internet-dependent. That is the problem with rack time. I know that there is no route or switch simulator from Juniper , but I would like Juniper to kindly consider this in 2011.

My name is Kunle and not kunie.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.
    Best Answer

Posted 01-14-2011 10:11

Hi Kunle, (apoloiges for the mistake last time)

I hear you on the difficulties with these other options, the intent was to make sure you knew they existed.

A Juniper simulator is something that is being discussed internally, as there is definitely a good deal of demand for one.

Cheers,

Kieran

• 5.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-05-2011 07:31

Although late to reply, but you can run qemu and over it JUNOS.

Below is the link for the step by step how to run JUNOS : )

http://muralirajanm.blogspot.com/

HTH

Nasim

• 6.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-07-2011 03:45

Nasim, that video on your blog was FANTASTIC!!!!!

Lovely, Lovely, Lovely !!!!!!!!

Nice one, thanks!

• 7.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-12-2011 18:59

@Nasim wrote:

Although late to reply, but you can run qemu and over it JUNOS.

IIRC one of the unfortunate things about running Junos in Qemu is that you don't have access to a real PFE (ASICs and Packet Forwarding Engine) therefore can't do a lot of things that are hardware dependent like transit firewall-filters, QoS, and other similar items.  Certainly, Junos on Qemu is beneficial for learning the CLI, and you can certainly do many things like learning routing protocols as these all run within the control plane.

For these other topics, it certainly makes sense to try and obtain some rack time.  And despite what you might think, there are offerings out there that are very reasonably priced and in fact that are a few folks out there that have actually put up their labs online for others to use completely free.

Good luck!

• 8.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-22-2011 17:51

Please can any Juniper employee help me to be able to get across to Barny Sanchez, the author of "Day One : Deploying SRX Series Gateways". There are some important questions I would like to ask him. I will be okay with having his e-mail address.

Thank you

• 9.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-23-2011 06:13

Please see my reply on your original post.

• 10.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-27-2011 02:50

Please can anyone educate me on the most effective way to prepare for the JNCIS-SEC exam without ending up as a "paper-based JNCIS-SEC" if I cannot afford a 2000 dollar bootcamp, and I have only 1 SRX100 to practice with ?

Thank you.

• 11.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-27-2011 11:20

The Fast Track portal has some very good and free information to get you started with SRX / Junos Security.

If you want to avoid being a "paper-based JNCIS-SEC," there is no substitute for real-world experience.  Sorry, but without actual experience running the systems in production, you're limited to what you can learn from academic research and lab simulations.

• 12.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-28-2011 03:12

Kieran, is it possible to practice the following configurations on a laptop connection to a single SRX device.

1. Configuring NTP, DNS, SNMO, and Syslog.

2. Configuring services, address books, and security policies.

3. Configuring NAT.

I anticipate your soonest favourable reply.

Kunle.

• 13.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-28-2011 17:33

Hi Kunle,

Sure, you could do much of that using the setup you describe.  You can also segment the SRX into multiple logical routers to create a multi-device setup.

Regards,

Kieran

• 14.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-29-2011 04:08

Can anyone please tell me how to create multiple logical routers on a single SRX 100 device?

Thanks.

Kunle,

U.K.

• 15.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 04-29-2011 05:14

I reckon you wouldn't be able to create logical router on SRX210. You can do this on high end SRX with new 11.x release in the future.

• 16.  RE: Request for an excellent simulator from Juniper.

Posted 05-02-2011 11:17

You can't do logical systems on an SRX but you can create virtual routers and interconnect them using LT interfaces. For routing labs thats very useful, I have a little SRX100 that I use to test BGP/OSPF/.. setups and it works fine. It sure beats having en entire rack full of equipment and manually repatching everything all the time.

No MPLS though, for that you'll need the logical systems from an MX. The high-end SRX might have the logical systems functionality but can't do mpls.