vMX
Highlighted
vMX

Time to replace my Junipter MX5 but with what

‎03-24-2020 11:10 AM

I currently have a Junipe MX5 and using it as an edge router/BGP  routers. I want to know what is the best process for determining what model etc of router I should get to replace the current one that is running at 89% memory

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
vMX

Re: Time to replace my Junipter MX5 but with what

‎03-24-2020 01:44 PM

Hi j .

Hope everything is ok .

Here you can find the link to compare different Juniper platforms based on the capacity they have and your needs .

https://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/routing/mx-series/compare?p=MX10,MX10000,MX10003,MX1...

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too.

Regards.

Highlighted
vMX

‎03-24-2020 01:50 PM

That's great information but I want to also see what I am curently using to see how I need to scale the new edge router for the long term. 

Highlighted
vMX

‎03-25-2020 12:36 AM

You can see easily what you are currently using by logging in to the current Router, and check the complete environment (used features, used ports, current bandwidth need, ...)

--------------------------------------------------

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution".
If you think that my answer was helpful, please spend some Kudos.
Highlighted
vMX

‎03-25-2020 06:11 AM

I am new to juniper and I do not know the commands to check that information

Highlighted
vMX

‎03-25-2020 09:21 AM

Choosing a replacement device for an existing device is a complex thing, as you have to consider several points.

If you have no Juniper knowledge, it would be the best to contact someone who can do this for you. Otherwise, there are Juniper Day One Books for free available, which help you to learn navigating within the Junos environment:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/jnbooks/en_US/day-one-books

Highlighted
vMX

‎03-27-2020 03:10 AM

If you bottleneck is memory the next jump would be to the mx104 which would take you from 2G to 4G.

Roughly a third way down this page is the chart that answers your scaling questions, in this case on the routing engine line item showing how the memory, cpu and disk change up the mx line.  It also shows all the other scaling parameters across the mx series.

https://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/routing/mx-series/datasheets/1000597.page

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
http://puluka.com/home
Highlighted
vMX

‎03-27-2020 11:03 AM

To follow up on Steves input.

MX104 is found in a MX5 variant where you get the same number of ports as a MX5 which can later be upgraded to more MIC slots + on-board ports. That would fit your requirements now... but MX104 is also an older platform.

If I should overall suggest an alternate platform, I would recommend you to look at the MX204 with advanced flex licenses. Price wise it's the best price/performance you will get today in a 1RU form factor - and not that more expensive than the MX104, especially not if you would like a couple of 10G ports over the lifetime of the new equipment.

Only limitations I can think of is;

1. There is not a many ports as on the MX5 (8xSFP/SFP+ vs. 20xSFP) - but the 40/100G ports can also do breakout to 4x10G if needed... so do you port count properly.

2. You cannot insert service MICs so no support for CG-NAT, IPsec or similar - but if you only use it for routing, then MX204 is a perfect replacement.

--
Best regards,

Jonas Hauge Klingenberg
Juniper Ambassador & Technology Architect, SEC DATACOM A/S (Denmark)
Highlighted
vMX

[ Edited ]
‎03-31-2020 05:43 AM

As MX204 can be quite expensive (depending on the licenses), MX150 is a cost effective possible alternative too, it has 10G fiber, 1G fiber and 1G copper ports. It just has one fixed power supply. However, if the Routers are redundant, this would be acceptable.

Personally I would not recommend anyone buying an MX5/MX80 or MX104 any more. They are extremely slow, and low on memory. We have lots of issues with MX104 with several full BGP routing tables, in terms of convergence times because of this ultra slow CPU inside.

Highlighted
vMX

‎03-31-2020 06:15 AM

Yes I have engaged Juniper as well,  both tac in diagnosing the what is taking all the memory and sales in helping to size the replacement but I want to learn more and getting various opinions from the community is a very good way to learn

Highlighted
vMX

‎03-31-2020 06:19 AM

Sounds great Steve, according to tac most of if not all our memory comsumption comes from the number of routes that are being advertised to us by our peers.  We are trying to talk to our peers/ISP to see if they can aggregate any of their current routes advertised to us. But all that being said we also need to upgrade to a newer version with more memory and at least 10gbps throughput capability to keep up with the times. thanks for the link I will review it and see if I have any additional questions. I also emailed you some time ago did you receive my emails?

Highlighted
vMX

‎03-31-2020 06:30 AM

The mx204 is one of the options that I am considering it just seems to be a really big jump size wise based I what I currently using . But I am also thinking that maybe I should not size it based on my number of users but on the number routes I am being advertised and will be advertised in the future from my peers increase in internet speeds and future cloud classed that will may move too.

Highlighted
vMX

‎04-01-2020 06:25 AM

Well  based on the information you provided the mx204 I think is much more than we need. We are currently running at 1Gbps I believe and I think the mx104 is closer to what we will need. But I can't find any information that refers to how much memory there is and since that is where we are having issues it would be good to know

Highlighted
vMX

‎04-01-2020 02:16 PM

The comparison table link I shared above has those specification.

https://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/routing/mx-series/datasheets/1000597.page

The routing engine on the mx104 has twice the RAM as the mx5 moving from 2g to 4g.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
http://puluka.com/home
Highlighted
vMX

‎04-02-2020 06:19 AM

Thanks Steve I did find that again after looking at routing memory which makes complete sense, since that is the issue that we are having, too many routes and too little memory. I see that the mx5 is upgradable via software for throughput but not upgradable for memory which would be a fix to our situation, of course the is the first question I asked when I opened my first tac case in December 2019. Next I am going to talk to our ISP and get some ideas about that traffic, I know that tac said that our peers/ISP were advertising alot of individual routes to us instead of aggregating routes thus using alot of our memory.  The Juniper sales engineer suggested either and mx104 or mx204 seem to be vastly different in memory and throughput. I would like a device that would last for a reasonable amount of time, but at first glance the mx204 looks like overkill. 

Highlighted
vMX

‎04-02-2020 10:32 AM

If you only need more memory and not any 10G ports in the next 3-4 years, then a MX104 in the MX5 version (MX104-MX5-AC) will be sufficient as there will be support on the platform for many years to come.

If there is a small change that you will need 10G and only up to two 10G ports, then go for the MX104 in the 40G bundle version (MX104-40G-AC-BNDL) bundle with a 20x1G MIC (you can reuse the MIC from your existing MX5).

If there is a risk that you will need 3 or more 10G ports, then I would go for the MX204 from the start - even that it's from a performance perspective is way overkill.

--
Best regards,

Jonas Hauge Klingenberg
Juniper Ambassador & Technology Architect, SEC DATACOM A/S (Denmark)
Feedback