vMX
vMX

vMX Server Hardware requirement / Compatibility query

‎02-28-2017 06:40 PM

Dear Folks,

I am just going to buy a server. I am much interested to do the vMX lab on the server. Before investing the money can someone help me to choose the appropriate server for the vMX. 

As per Juniper any x86 processor (Intel or AMD) with VT-d capability can run the vMX. I have received a decent quotation for the DELL R710 as below. Can you please confirm whether the server is compatible to run the vMX or should i have to buy any new technology.

2* Intel® Xeon® Processor X5650 (12M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI)
  • RAM: 8X8GB DDR3 Memory =64gb
  • Processor Cache: Up to 8MB
  • Processors: Up to 2x Quad or Six-Core Intel Xeon 55xx or 56xx Series

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/r710-spec-sheet.pdf

Description

Value

Sample system configuration

For lab simulation and low performance (less than 100 Mbps) use cases, any x86 processor (Intel or AMD) with VT-d capability. Be sure to specify the vPFE_lite image in the vmx.conffile.

For all other use cases, Intel Ivy Bridge processors or later are required.
Example of Ivy Bridge processor: Intel Xeon E5-2667 v2 @ 3.30 GHz 25 MB Cache

For single root I/O virtualization (SR-IOV) NIC type, use Intel 82599-based PCI-Express cards (10 Gbps) and Ivy Bridge processors.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
vMX

Re: vMX Server Hardware requirement / Compatibility query

‎03-01-2017 07:58 AM

X5650 belongs to Westmere EP family, so it doesn't support vMX in performace mode (which needs Ivy Bridge or later),

It should be okay for just running vMX in lite-mode but it's better if you can try it first.

Highlighted
vMX

Re: vMX Server Hardware requirement / Compatibility query

‎03-06-2017 07:22 PM

Hi 

Thank you for the reply.

I do also have the DELL 2U R 810 with 4xL7555 (32) core quotation. Can you please advise on this as well.

Feedback