vMX
vMX

vMX mode and software upgrade

[ Edited ]
4 weeks ago

Hi There,

I have one vMX installed in the KVM environment. 

Features: JUNOS 15.1F6.9 Kernel 64-bit 

I have some questions:

Question A:

I need to verify in which mode the vMX is deployed if lite or performance mode.

From here: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vmx/topics/concept/vmx-overview.html

seems that the Performance mode is the default mode. Unfortunately you can verify this via command (show chassis hardware) only starting with Junos OS Release 17.3R1. Do you now any way how to confirm  in which mode is my vMX? (I did not deploy and install it).

Question B: More, assuming that i do not configure the proper number of vCPU and memory for my VM to support performance-mode (default): can I assume that in case i do not meet the hardware requirement than the vmx is "downgrade" to lite-mode?

Question C: Finally, i want to upgrade the vMX from 15.1F6.9 to the reccomended version 17.3R3-S5. Can i upgrade my vMX  as a normal MX router without taking care of the host system (KVM in this case)?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
vMX

Re: vMX mode and software upgrade

4 weeks ago

Hi,

- is the FPC online "show chassis fpc"? This can confirm that your system is running in performance. If its not online, please try to configured the lite-mode and check the status[set chassis fpc 0 lite-mode].

-If you allocate minumum resources to run the vMX it should be running fine in lite-mode. [15.1 is pretty old release, it had lot of limitations] can you please confirm the resoruces cofigured for the vMX in your setup?

- vMX upgraded is not recommended. please plan for a spwaning a vMX and load the config.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vmx/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes...

-
VR
# Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.
vMX

4 weeks ago

Thanks VR,

- Yes, i see the fpc because we setup the vmx with vcp and vfp. Reading through the line i am assuming the following: I did not configured the lite-mode and the default mode is performance, therefore we can assume that my vmx is in performance mode.

- My question was different: my vmx is now in performance mode (see the above) but is not meeting the hardware resource. I am not sure if this downgrade the vmx into lite-mode (may be i am complicating idea)

- vMX upgraded is not recommended: well the link you sent to me is for vmx-release-notes-18.4r1 which is not my case (upgrade from 15.1F6.9 to  17.3R3-S5)

Finally besides different hardware requirements, any one know what is the difference in terms of scalability between performnace-mode and lite-mode? i could not really find the answer any where.

Thanks.

vMX

3 weeks ago

Hi,

Can you elaborate what you meant by hardware resources? Can you confirm the resources allocated to vCP & vFP..

VMX upgrade is not recommended for all the releases.[Link was shared as a reference]

lite-mode is meant for low throughput traffic .

Performance-mode is for high throughput traffic and better performance, In this mode we will have diffrent mechanisum which will provided more performance regarding the traffic processing.

-
VR
# Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.