SRX

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about the SRX Series, vSRX, and cSRX.
  • 1.  ROUTE-BASED IPsec VPN: the tunnel is up, but the data traffic can't reach the destination

Posted 09-27-2017 12:26

Hello everyone,

i'm getting ready for the JN0-333 exam. i have made a GNS3 lab to see how a route-based IPsec VPN works. following you can see my network topology:

net_topology.png

i would like to configure a point-to-multi point IPsec VPN using OSPF as the routing protocol. i want to build a hub and spoke network, with the vsrx-milan as the hub for the branch and non-branch remote sites. but before to do this I need to see implementations a little easier, like a simple site-to-site IPsec VPN.

currently i just configure a point-to-point IPsec VPN between Milan and Turin sites. I have used static routes for the routing and none IP address for the st0.1 interfaces. you can see my configurations in the attachments. i see the ike phase 1 and 2 tunnel up and working:

root@vsrx-milan> show security ike security-associations    
    Index   State  Initiator cookie  Responder cookie  Mode           Remote Address   
    5856949 UP     96b1ec76aeece4a1  83993bda88bfb67f  Main           93.12.12.23     

root@vsrx-milan> 

root@vsrx-milan> show security ipsec security-associations  
      Total active tunnels: 1
      ID    Algorithm       SPI      Life:sec/kb  Mon lsys Port  Gateway   
      <131073 ESP:aes-cbc-256/sha1 6ea3f868 3567/ unlim U root 500 93.12.12.23     
      >131073 ESP:aes-cbc-256/sha1 83805b5e 3567/ unlim U root 500 93.12.12.23     

root@vsrx-milan> 

root@vsrx-milan> show security ipsec statistics 
    ESP Statistics:
      Encrypted bytes:              608
      Decrypted bytes:              336
      Encrypted packets:              4
      Decrypted packets:              4
    AH Statistics:
      Input bytes:                    0
      Output bytes:                   0
      Input packets:                  0
      Output packets:                 0
    Errors:
      AH authentication failures: 0, Replay errors: 0
      ESP authentication failures: 0, ESP decryption failures: 0
      Bad headers: 0, Bad trailers: 0

root@vsrx-milan> 

but, if the tunnel is up and the security policies are ok, why the pc-milan can't make a telnet to reach the pc-turin? note: pc-milan and pc-turin are the cisco routers and their routing is ok. it's the same for the INTERNET cloud.

pc-milan#telnet 192.168.20.1
    Trying 192.168.20.1 ... 
    % Connection timed out; remote host not responding

where i'm going wrong?

Attachment(s)

txt
    vsrx-turin.txt   5 KB 1 version
    txt
    vsrx-milan.txt   5 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: ROUTE-BASED IPsec VPN: the tunnel is up, but the data traffic can't reach the destination

Posted 09-27-2017 13:38

IKE/IPSEC seems to be working as per your output.

The Policies seems right too.

How about your routing table, is it installing the right routes?

--
    Jorge Bonilla | Chief Technology Officer
    AWS-SAA | JNCIP | JNCDS-DC | JNCDS-SEC | CCNP | MCSE | ACMA | CCA | VCP | LPI
    e: jorge@bonilla.tech
    t: +1.754.900.7033
    Twitter: @bonillatech

• 3.  RE: ROUTE-BASED IPsec VPN: the tunnel is up, but the data traffic can't reach the destination
    Best Answer

Posted 09-27-2017 14:08

Hi,

you are missing a security policy on vsrx-turin which allows traffic from-zone vpn to-zone trust. You are only allowing traffic from trust to vpn zones on both firewalls.

• 4.  RE: ROUTE-BASED IPsec VPN: the tunnel is up, but the data traffic can't reach the destination

Posted 09-27-2017 15:10

thanks Jonashauge. you are right! now the comunication works 🙂

hey guys, now I want to ask you another question about the Cisco and Juniper VPNs. is it possibile implement a route-based IPsec VPN between a Juniper SRX and a Cisco ASA?

Cisco need to use the GRE header to implement the dynamic routing inside the IPsec tunnel. for Juniper instead the ESP header is enough. in this scenario the end-users packets will be encapsulated in different way by both vendors. is it right? how can it works the VPN comunication between Juniper and Cisco? 

IPsec packets forwarded by a Cisco ASA:     |FRAME|IPv4*|ESP|GRE|IPv4**|DATA|

IPsec packets forwarded by a Juniper SRX:  |FRAME|IPv4*|ESP|IPv4**|DATA|

IPv4*: IPv4 header with source IP took from the egree interface.

IPv4**: IPv4 original header, generated by the sorce host of the network communication.

• 5.  RE: ROUTE-BASED IPsec VPN: the tunnel is up, but the data traffic can't reach the destination