vSRX
vSRX

vSRX total memory available

‎07-03-2017 04:31 AM

Hi All!

I have started trial version of vSRX under VmWare ESXi.

The VM is configured with 8GB RAM and 4 vCPU.

show chassis routing-engine command returns:

Total memory               977 MB Max   449 MB used ( 46 percent)

Is there any way to increace total memory upto 2GB (like SRX1500 has).

Thank you in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
vSRX

Re: vSRX total memory available

‎07-03-2017 05:52 AM

Hi,

vSRX is deployed using OVF template with all the predefined attributes, it will use 4GB RAM and 2vCPUs if you are using vSRX-S. I doubt that you can increase the memory, increasing in the ESXi shouldn't increase the actual memory.

Thanks,

Vikas

Highlighted
vSRX

‎07-03-2017 06:21 AM

Hi Vikas!

Thx for you reply.

"I doubt that you can increase the memory, increasing in the ESXi shouldn't increase the actual memory."

Does it mean that 1GB is the max for vSRX?

Currently we have SRX-1500 with 2GB of RAM and I concider vSRX as a redundancy solution.

On SRX-1500 we are currently running BGP sesions, so 2GB is the minimum I need for vSRX to establish BGP.

Highlighted
vSRX

‎07-03-2017 10:07 PM

Hi,

vSRX-Small is like SRX branch series devices. It's nested virtualization where RE is on the WR linux. So, it's possible that other componens would be taking some part of the memroy.

There are many customers who are using the BGP without any issue and if you need vSRX with more resources then probably you can try one with the multicore, please refer below for more details:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vsrx15.1x49-d70/topics/task/multi-task/security-vsrx-wit...

Thanks,

Vikas

Highlighted
vSRX

‎12-22-2017 10:38 AM

Hello,

So what it needs to have a V-SRX with 5 cpu and 8G ram and when you execute show chassis routeing-engine to

show model vsrx-m   and Not vsrx-s?

Highlighted
vSRX

‎12-22-2017 10:41 AM

For reference, following the link : https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vsrx/topics/reference/general/security-vsrx-system-requi...

Didn't helped, still i have VSR-S.

Highlighted
vSRX

‎12-22-2017 11:43 AM

which version of vSRX? Need at least 15.1X49-D90.

Please note that you need 16G RAM and 5 vCPU to boot it as vSRX-M.

--
Best regards,

Jonas Hauge Klingenberg
Juniper Ambassador & Technology Architect, SEC DATACOM A/S (Denmark)
Highlighted
vSRX

‎12-23-2017 03:41 AM

Hi Folks,

Just my 2 cents on this…

As per my knowledge the vSRX with 5 vCPU and 8Gb of RAM would be vSRX-M; and not vSRX-S [2 vCPU/4Gb]; please correct me, if i am wrong.

-Python JNCIE 3X [SP|DC|ENT] JNCIP-SEC JNCDS 3X [ WAN | DC|SEC] JNCIS-Cloud JNCIS-DevOps CCIP ITIL
#Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.
Highlighted
vSRX

‎02-05-2018 06:51 AM
Further on this topic does anyone know if you can get the routing engine to have more than 1g of RAM? I have a pair of vsrx servers (vsrx-l) edition running in vmware in a cluster but their routing engine only has 1g of RAM available. I am still testing things out but I have three ISPs for the office and each provides a full BGP feed for both v4 and v6. I only have 1 v4 session up now and the routing engine memory is almost full, if I could make the routing engine have 2-4g it would be good. The host has 128g of RAM and the vm has 32gb assigned to It, I have tried adding more to the vm but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the routing engine.