vSRX
vSRX

vSRX3 firmware 19.1R1.6

‎06-21-2019 05:11 PM

Hi Everyone, I've been running a test of vSRX3 version 19.1R1.6 deployed in VMware Workstation 14 Pro. It seems the "ge-*" interfaces not stable or does have compatibility issues. All ge-* interfaces were suddenly being removed from the VM and then comes back. The issue is repetitive with an interval of more or less 2 minutes.

Attached screenshots shows the status from VMware Workstation console and putty (ssh to fxp0.0 IP address). Please see for your reference.

ge-interfaces-been-removed.PNGge-* interfaces been removed and vmware console status

7 REPLIES 7
vSRX

Re: vSRX3 firmware 19.1R1.6

‎06-21-2019 05:20 PM

The interfaces comes back with additional status messages from VMware Workstation console.ge-interfaces-comes-back.PNGge-* interfaces comes back

vSRX

‎06-21-2019 06:04 PM

Hi Mike,

VMware workstation isn't one of the supported hypervisors for vSRX3.0 and so its probably why you are seeing some unexpected behaviors.

Here are some links for your reference:

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB33572&actp=RSS

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/vsrx/topics/reference/general/security-vsrx-vmware-syste...

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!

Regards,

HS

vSRX

‎06-22-2019 07:34 AM

Thanks for the tip  Smiley Happy

However, this may limit us to do test inside our office. We are mobile workers, much of our time are outside our premises and we do testings using VMware Workstation from our laptops.
We were able to do simulations from the previos firmware version 15.1X49-D180.2

I wish Juniper could develop a tool or vsrx ova's that could do simulations much more flexible.

vSRX

‎06-22-2019 08:47 AM

vSRX has never been stable outside its "deciered state", nor has a lot of other producs, it took quite some time for vMX and vQFX to even boot on ESXi. 

They are also quite power hungry, not making them ideal for a laptop. You can run vSRX in AWS, Azure and a few others, even run it on Juniper LAB. 

I doubt Juniper will help here. The only way I can see is to run neasted VMs but that would even have a higher hit on performance, but might be the way? Have you tried GNS3

vSRX

‎06-26-2019 08:45 PM
Thanks for the tip @E_AndersJohansson. Haven't tried yet simulating vsrx on GNS3.
Highlighted
vSRX

‎06-26-2019 09:59 PM

Mike Seroco,

This might be a good place to begin over GNS3, although not Juniper's documentation:

https://docs.gns3.com/appliances/juniper-vsrx.html

Cheers

Pooja

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!

vSRX

‎06-26-2019 10:14 PM

Hi,

If JUNOS 19.1R1 is not a must, I would recommend using the Juniper's own vLAB setup to spin vSRX as standalone node or in multi node setup. And not only vSRX, it offer vQFX and vMX instance as well!

Here are the link for more details:

/Karan Dhanak
# Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.